Aux Fuel Needed for Kokopelli trail (140mi)?

Kokopelli

Quick sanity check: I'm going do the Kokopelli trail from Fruita, CO to Moab coming up. It's about 140 miles of mostly moderate terrain. The hardest part is making a detour to Top of the World trail in Moab. Do you think I need aux fuel for this? The trip organizers are saying bring at least 5 gallons, but they're running JKs and 80's with 37s and many mpg draining mods. But 140 miles seems well within my Jeep's off road range. And I don't want to invest in a temporary rotopax aux fuel set up, because I'm saving up for the AEV tire carrier and fuel caddy. I'm considering just buying two 2gal Rotopax and reselling them afterward for extra insurance.

My Jeep is a relatively stock 2014 JKUR 5spd 4.10 gearing, AEV 2.5" lift, stock rubicon tires. Heavy with overlanding mods, but nothing that really changes the gas mileage.

I've done most of the Mojave Road trail with plenty of fuel to spare. But you never want to be that guy begging for gas 3/4 of the way through the trip.

Pic for reference.

View attachment 169360

Last edited by a moderator:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm afraid I can't help answer your question, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd make the investment in a fuel caddy of some kind. Factor in the mileage to the closest town at several points along the way just in case and you may find your mileage creeping above 200.

dirtlimo

I took 8 gallons and I did need to dip into it. Another JK on 35s with a RTT did not have to. So you might be ok, but having that extra fuel is never a bad idea.:beer:

jeeeep

Hooked
even when sitting idling for long periods of time my 2015 gets better mileage than my 2010 lol

how far do you have to travel to the trail? will you refuel before getting on the trail?

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys. The trail starts near grand junction and fuita so I could start with a full tank I assume. 140 miles seems more than doable. One of my friends has a triple jerry can rack on his 80-series so he's bringing 5gal for me. AEV tire carrier and fuel caddy is in the works since I need the carrier for 35s or 37s anyway. The fuel caddy is Mostly for Baja and an upcoming Utah traverse trip. I don't need it for most smaller trips. But when you crunch the numbers between rotopax and the fuel caddy, the fuel caddy ends up being cheaper. But that'll probably be more of a Christmas present to myself.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Assuming you've got the time, take lots of pics on the way and post them up here. I'm not the only one who'd enjoy seeing them. [emoji106]🏻

LeighP

There are some new 5Gal Jerry can holders that bolt onto either side of the front fenders......no permanent mods required to fit. Just a thought for people wanting to extend their range without making having to make permanent changes to their vehicle.
MORryde are the company selling these.

jeeeep

Hooked
There are some new 5Gal Jerry can holders that bolt onto either side of the front fenders......no permanent mods required to fit. Just a thought for people wanting to extend their range without making having to make permanent changes to their vehicle.
MORryde are the company selling these.
i don't think I'd want fuel cans mounted to the sides of the front fenders, would be ok on long flat travels but not in some of the rocky areas like you get into in moab.

LeighP

i don't think I'd want fuel cans mounted to the sides of the front fenders, would be ok on long flat travels but not in some of the rocky areas like you get into in moab.

Yeah, you could be right about that........I believe MORryde also sell a spare mounted carrier for a single jerry can, too.....could be a bit safer back there up and out of the way.

jscherb

Here are a couple of options for carrying extra fuel on a JK...

LeighP mentioned these a few posts back - side mounts from a company called MORryde. They bolt on, no drilling required.

SideMountJerry_zpsl8tiimci.jpg

They can carry jerry, NATO and Sceptre cans, and also Rotopax containers:

JKSideMount2Gallon_zpsp8rpcex0.jpg

LeighP also mentioned the MORryde spare-mount carrier, this photo shows it on an LJ but it fits JK/TJ/YJ/CJ Jeeps, also no drilling (this Jeep also has their TJ side mounts, which are different than the JK side mounts)

CaliforniaPass3_zpse146ce41.jpg

They also make a Rotopax carrier that mounts on their HD tailgate hinges...

JKHingeRotopax1_zpsbokvqpz1.jpg

jscherb

If you've got enough clearance for your fender flares, you've got enough clearance for the side mount jerry cans...

JKSidesMountsReady_zpsr6blkbti.jpg

If you install Rotopax containers on the side mounts they are even closer to the body.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Those side mounts are pretty interesting.

I was able to complete the trip with a 1/4 tank to spare. The trail conditions were so bad that we had to dip out of the trail a little earlier than expected. We ended up taking Onion Springs Rd back to Moab. But even that usually graded dirt road had been washed out in several places. The Jeep still did 150 dirt miles, including Top Of The World Trail with plenty of gas to spare. Running stock sized tires probably helped with the fuel economy.

I still plan to follow my build plan and get the AEV fuel caddy and 35s for an upcoming Utah Traverse trip this spring.

_DSC0044.JPG

IMG_8160.JPG

_DSC0091.JPG

_DSC0110.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

_DSC0157.JPG

_DSC0167.JPG

_DSC0175.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8529.JPG

_DSC0206.JPG

IMG_8761.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

_DSC0278.JPG

IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8952.JPG

_DSC0302.JPG

_DSC0239.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

My Jeep ended up looking like a Utah mud dissection.

_DSC0319.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JeepJeep75

That looks sooo fun. What a great adventure that must have been. Thanks for the update with pics. Looks like a great time was had. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Top Bottom