PEOPLE SUCK!! Black Mountain Wilderness Petroglyphs Vandalized

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
PEOPLE SUCK!!! This is a favorite destination of ours and the only way you can get to these petroglyphs is off road. If we can't keep people in our own camp behaving themselves, there will be NO hope for keeping our trails open.

Petroglyphs Vandalized
megvv8-megvrwpetroglyph.jpg

HINKLEY • In the Black Mountain area, north of Hinkley, images that pre-date all modern art can be found chiseled into basalt rocks.

A favorite of ancient indigenous people for its dark color and ability to withstand the elements, these basalt rocks have been under recent continuous attack by vandals who threaten to destroy history one slab at a time.

“Some of these have been here, I would estimate, maybe several thousand years — maybe as long as 10,000 years,” Jim Shearer, archaeologist at the Barstow Bureau of Land Management, said about the rocks, known as “petroglyphs.”

Shearer said he gets complaints all the time from petroglyph enthusiasts about damage being done to sully the ancient art.

Vandals who travel long, bumpy roads to the petroglyphs’ secluded mountain locations — often in off-road vehicles — scratch personal messages on the rocks, attempt to cut images out of them or copy the images with damage-causing contraptions and, sometimes, even shoot at them with high-powered weapons.

“Damage has been going on for quite a while, but it seems to be getting more extensive,” Shearer said. “In some cases it seems to be professionals going out there.”

Read the whole article here:
http://www.desertdispatch.com/news/hinkley-13750-petroglyphs-vandalized.html

my_jk

It really annoys me when people destroy out history like that and it also puts a bad name out there for us off roaders :mad:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Need to figure a way to put some surveillance equip out there that runs on solar and is well hidden. Then they can catch those A-holes!! Man that really super sucks?:grayno:

ALRydr

This is just another example of the total lack of respect that some people have for others. When I take my kids out with me, we talk about how important it is not to destroy things (no matter how significant or insignificant) they seem. I always tell them we need to leave it just like we found it so the next person can enjoy it too. Too bad more people don't follow this rule!!!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
PEOPLE SUCK!!! This is a favorite destination of ours and the only way you can get to these petroglyphs is off road. If we can't keep people in our own camp behaving themselves, there will be NO hope for keeping our trails open.

these people are not in Our camp.

unfortunetly everyone thinks they are :grayno:

MTG

Caught the Bug
People DO suck!

I'd like to carve some "petroglyphs" into the people who do this sort of thing!

Sudz

unfortunetly everyone thinks they are :grayno:
because people are led to believe that

Vandals who travel long, bumpy roads to the petroglyphs’ secluded mountain locations — often in off-road vehicles — ..even shoot at them with high-powered weapons.

author must have attended the 'Rahm Emanuel School of Journalism', Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste, blame the off-roaders and take a shot at gun ownership

author clearly has an agenda

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
What a bunch of jackasses!!! :naw:

There are lots of unhappy people out there and this is an excellent example. True off-roaders "who have a fundamental love of the outdoors", To quote Eddie from Maple Honey(?), would not think of doing this. Ever! These jerks are best described as that bodypart on the other side and a little below the bellybutton!!:mad::mad:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
There are lots of unhappy people out there and this is an excellent example. True off-roaders "who have a fundamental love of the outdoors", To quote Eddie from Maple Honey(?), would not think of doing this. Ever! These jerks are best described as that bodypart on the other side and a little below the bellybutton!!:mad::mad:

I agree people need to take better care of our history and natural land and keep it beautiful for generations to come! Hope ur not using me as an example. ;)

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I agree people need to take better care of our history and natural land and keep it beautiful for generations to come! Hope ur not using me as an example. ;)

Definitely not!!;) There may be members of this forum who do not respect our lands, but I haven't met one yet, and don't think I will.:yup:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I get so tired of seeing and hearing stories like this. Are their really people out there that really don't care? I don't understand how someone can get off like this. Just blows my mind. I was hoping one day to have grand kids and be able to off-road to show them things like this. Hopefully some of it will still be there

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
People have no respect for themselves let alone these artifacts. Idiots.

There mothers should have swallowed.:crazyeyes:

Toxic

It is a true shame that peeps in our camp like Eddie states do these things. Won't be long before we are all just riding along at ORV parks, and unable to see the real beauty of our country. Sorry to see that happening in your neck of the woods.

EasyE

Is it possible that those petroglyphs are themselves graffiti ?? With plenty of complaints about defacing natural rock beauty...?? And we just think they are cool because they are really really old..

Top Bottom