Check Engine Light, No Code, "ECO" indicator stays off

Morbidmonty

Ok fellas I have a time sensitive issue here. The darn CEL went on today on my way home from work. About 2 weeks ago it came on dealer said it was the fuel cap. So hopped out (doors off) tighten it down drove the rest of the way home. Then I noticed the "ECO" won't go turn on at all. With the CEL still on I checked for a code....-DONE-. Put the doors back on drove her around a bit and its still on. I say time sensitive because I have a trip to TN coming up this weekend with the wife for some time alone in the smokies. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Morbidmonty

Just checked the MFG Date SEP 2012, I also watched a couple videos of others with the same year with a "tick" and yes I have tick

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Disregard the ECO light for now. Some vehicles will not allow that function to work until the CEL is cleared with no history or active codes present. From what I'm reading, your CEL is still on correct? What is the code that they gave you? P0455-P0456? Or something different? If indeed the same code is present and gas cap is tight, I would recommend replacing the gas cap. If that doesn't fix the problem, then you still may have an EVAP leak, which won't affect the safety on your trip. Might piss off some Greenies though.

WJCO

Meme King
No code comes up just a few seconds of all dashes followed by "-DONE-"

Ok. But does the CEL remain on after the 'DONE' message appears? If it does, you still have a code in the system somewhere. What does your dealer paperwork say? Tech notes on there should list the code he found.

WJCO

Meme King
You can also run down to almost any parts store nowadays and they will scan it for free. Since your CEL is the light that is on, an OBDII code should be present and they can tell you what it is. Then they'll probably try to sell you the first part that they have in stock that matches the words in the code description. Don't buy any parts until you actually have it diagnosed properly. But at least you'll know what the code is.

jagrubb99

Ok fellas I have a time sensitive issue here. The darn CEL went on today on my way home from work. About 2 weeks ago it came on dealer said it was the fuel cap. So hopped out (doors off) tighten it down drove the rest of the way home. Then I noticed the "ECO" won't go turn on at all. With the CEL still on I checked for a code....-DONE-. Put the doors back on drove her around a bit and its still on. I say time sensitive because I have a trip to TN coming up this weekend with the wife for some time alone in the smokies. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Had the exact same thing happen to mine about a month back. I have a 2015 and my CEL remained illuminated for about five days. Tried to pull codes but never got any. Made an appointment with my dealer but it suddenly disappeared the day before I was scheduled to take it in. I didn't change a think, didn't refuel, tighten gascap, anything. CEL just randomly disappeared and I have not bad any problems since

jep77

Same exact thing happened to me a few weeks back during a camping trip. Error code was reading it was the evap system so I got out and tightened the gas cap and checked for leaks but all was good. The CEL wouldn't go off and the ECO wouldn't come on until I unhooked the battery for a couple minutes and reconnected it. That did the trick so maybe give that a try?

rich67

Caught the Bug
I was throwing a code (evap leak) with my latest CEL. I ended up finding a disconnected tube and restarted the Jeep. I got the "----------" "done" notification also upon restart. I ended up pulling the battery cable for about 15 minutes. It reset, the light is off, and has been for a few startup cycles.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Bumping this thread...just had it happen to me. 2014, auto, rubi, 15K on the ODO. Had a CEL come on out of nowhere, zero symptoms. Key trick showed ------ then -done-, OBD2 tool scan showed no codes. Tightened gas gap, CEL still there. Reset light, didnt come back for 2 starts, 3rd start came back. This morning cleared the CEL again (no codes), went to get gas, filled up, hasn't come back since....2 restarts so far. Annoying, but seems to be nothing.

jeeeep

Hooked
have had the gas cap code pop up on my 2010. what I do is make sure the metal filler neck is cleaned off I use an alcohol wipe to clean it, then I use any chapstick and put a little bit on the gas cap seal. usually takes a few startups for the code to clear then I'm good for at least another 2years or so, original gas cap.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
have had the gas cap code pop up on my 2010. what I do is make sure the metal filler neck is cleaned off I use an alcohol wipe to clean it, then I use any chapstick and put a little bit on the gas cap seal. usually takes a few startups for the code to clear then I'm good for at least another 2years or so, original gas cap.

Sounds like an easy maintenance thing. I'll do it tomorrow.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Light is back on, still no codes. Gas cap seems fine and tight. Started happening when it got cold out. No symptoms but it's annoying because remote start doesn't work when you have a CEL and it sucks for the mornings I need to drive my daughter to school. Really don't want to bring it to a dealer and have them start throwing parts at it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Light is back on, still no codes. Gas cap seems fine and tight. Started happening when it got cold out. No symptoms but it's annoying because remote start doesn't work when you have a CEL and it sucks for the mornings I need to drive my daughter to school. Really don't want to bring it to a dealer and have them start throwing parts at it.

I think for me at least, I am getting the same thing comming from the EVAP system since I broke the clips when I put the skid on. I replaced one but cant find anything for the larger one and am just being lazy about getting a new hose with clips. I get the same ----- then done with the key check. It did show the evap code once, and I used a zip tie so its not loose, but now will not show a code, but the CEL comes on maybe every 2 weeks after a reset with the procal.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think for me at least, I am getting the same thing comming from the EVAP system since I broke the clips when I put the skid on. I replaced one but cant find anything for the larger one and am just being lazy about getting a new hose with clips. I get the same ----- then done with the key check. It did show the evap code once, and I used a zip tie so its not loose, but now will not show a code, but the CEL comes on maybe every 2 weeks after a reset with the procal.

I didn't do anything new to the rig....started happening when the temps started dipping to the freezing mark. Googling some people are saying that it "could" be a bad battery, but Im suspicious about that...jeep starts with 1/2 a crank, battery seems super strong.

Brent McCartney

Wondering if you ever found out what caused this as my 2015 just did the same thing. Cel and no codes. I have allready had my gas cap replaced and the esim pump prior to this, but both of those times I hade codes.

Top Bottom