Electric help....alternator, battery, cables?

msax

Need electrical diagnostic help.

Yesterday went out to lunch and serpentine belt was squealing. Come out after work and jeep was dead. Volt Metered the battery and it was at .7volts. All electronics dead. Jumped jeep and died immediately after removing cables. Battery was reading 8.5 with jumper cables. Bring battery home and charge over night.

Today battery was reading 12.87v before hooking up to car. 12.80v connected to car. Engine turned over no problem. Serpentine belt continued to squeal. When running battery reads 12.4v. Check continuity from alternator to positive and was solid. Checked continuity from alternator ground to battery ground and solid. The cap on the alternator positive terminal was melted and some of the heat shrink is melted.

Little background. Jeep electrical wires were corroded from battery leak and completely replace two years ago. The starter and PCM were both replaced one month ago. The jeep is 07 with 90k mile on it. Any suggestion to look at? In the process of removing alternator but having difficulty. Thanks.

rich67

Caught the Bug
The only thing I can advise is to have the alternator tested. I had the same issue with the wife's Escalade (except the squealing part). The melted part on the alternator makes me think something isn't right there. But I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

Jeep Bro 08

I just had my alternator wire melt on top of alt the rubber boot .so i replace the whole wire with 4gauge stero wire & new connecter .the other end was fry connecting to the battery. Try that its a cheap fix. All cuz it was loose i believe why it fried & my battery light kept coming on

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like alternator is the issue as that is where the most heat evidence is. Your charging voltage is way too low, also indicating an alternator issue. Since you'll have it off and will be planning on buying one anyways, take it to the parts store, most can bench test them. My gut feeling is your alternator took a dump.

ShotgunExpresss

Same situation here, my alternator fried itself and took one of my batteries with it. Upgraded to a 320 amp alternator from Quality Power and a Odyssey PC2250 now sits where the 2 batteries once did. And I ran 2/0 wiring to amps and winch to solve power supply and demand issues Also installed 4 11/2 grounding straps to the tub, frame, battery, and engine. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1445450081.191713.jpg

msax

The alternator was fried. It failed the bench test almost immediately at the auto store. Replaced with a new one and charging system has been good ever since

WJCO

Meme King
The alternator was fried. It failed the bench test almost immediately at the auto store. Replaced with a new one and charging system has been good ever since

Sweet. Thanks for getting back here and posting the solution.

JEEPnGEO

Wow

Same situation here, my alternator fried itself and took one of my batteries with it. Upgraded to a 320 amp alternator from Quality Power and a Odyssey PC2250 now sits where the 2 batteries once did. And I ran 2/0 wiring to amps and winch to solve power supply and demand issues Also installed 4 11/2 grounding straps to the tub, frame, battery, and engine. View attachment 170327

How has this been working for you. I was looking into a single battery. I wonder how much smaller this one is instead of the 2 1500s.

Thanks

JEEPnGEO

Top Bottom