Lift kit opinions

Bostwick0611

I have a 2012 jku have a set of aev pintler bead lock wheels with Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 315/70/17a I am looking at doing the Teraflex 3" outback system with Fox socks, the tie rod, drag link flip kit, steering stabilizer relocation kit and Fox steering stabilizer.

The reasoning I'm thinking this kit is I tow a couple trailers that both weigh about 3500# and normally when I tow the one I have the family in the jeep and all our camping gear so lots of weight and hopefully it would still tow semi level.

What's everyone's thought on this set up

Welcome to WAL. you should post up in the "give us a wave" thread and tell us a little bit about yourself.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I have no experience on the Teraflex coils myself, but I've heard they're a bit of a stiff ride compared to other's coils. If you've got a fully loaded Jeep and you're pulling a trailer, I'm not sure any standard coil and shock setup is going to help keep you level without some additional spacers in the rear. The only thing that comes to mind would be an airbag setup in the rear or perhaps a coilover setup where you can set the preload independantly of height to help manage some of the squat.

That's likely out of your budget so I'd just plan on getting a spacer for the rear. Ask around here too for more opinions regarding different brand coils.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have no experience on the Teraflex coils myself, but I've heard they're a bit of a stiff ride compared to other's coils. If you've got a fully loaded Jeep and you're pulling a trailer, I'm not sure any standard coil and shock setup is going to help keep you level without some additional spacers in the rear. The only thing that comes to mind would be an airbag setup in the rear or perhaps a coilover setup where you can set the preload independantly of height to help manage some of the squat.

That's likely out of your budget so I'd just plan on getting a spacer for the rear. Ask around here too for more opinions regarding different brand coils.

This. The teraflex kit won't keep from sagging. And for the price you of the teraflex kit you can get coilovers which would be better anyway.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The max tow rating of a JKU is 3500. The trailer alone hits that according to you. Then you add your other stuff plus family you will be over the tow rating. Please also look into a brake upgrade and hopefully the trailers have electric brakes as well. You might want to look into a different vehicle for towing or smaller trailers. I've seen a lot of accidents because of people towing more than the vehicle was intended too. Most of the time the vehicle pulled the load fine, it was the inability to stop the load that caused most of the issues.

xrocknrollx

The max tow rating of a JKU is 3500. The trailer alone hits that according to you. Then you add your other stuff plus family you will be over the tow rating. Please also look into a brake upgrade and hopefully the trailers have electric brakes as well. You might want to look into a different vehicle for towing or smaller trailers. I've seen a lot of accidents because of people towing more than the vehicle was intended too. Most of the time the vehicle pulled the load fine, it was the inability to stop the load that caused most of the issues.

The 3500lb towing capacity is for the trailer only. If you have a trailers weight distributed correctly then around 10-15% of the weight will be on the hitch. Which with a 3500lb trailer will be 350lbs that are taken into account with the GVRW

edit: Not to say that he won't be over the stickered payload capacity of the jeep and therefore the GVRW.

Last edited:

Bostwick0611

Another lift that I have been considering is the synergy stage 2 3" with Fox remote reservoir socks and a Fox steering stabilizer
Thoughts on this?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Another lift that I have been considering is the synergy stage 2 3" with Fox remote reservoir socks and a Fox steering stabilizer
Thoughts on this?

It doesn't sound like you read/understood the advice above. Good luck with your build. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2012 jku have a set of aev pintler bead lock wheels with Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 315/70/17a I am looking at doing the Teraflex 3" outback system with Fox socks, the tie rod, drag link flip kit, steering stabilizer relocation kit and Fox steering stabilizer.

The reasoning I'm thinking this kit is I tow a couple trailers that both weigh about 3500# and normally when I tow the one I have the family in the jeep and all our camping gear so lots of weight and hopefully it would still tow semi level.

What's everyone's thought on this set up

Folks have been giving you some sound advice, might want to read through a few of them.

That being said, what lift do you have on your Jeep now to clear your 315's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not yet I plan on running them

Got it.

That being said, I would recommend that you buy a lift kit based on how it performs and NOT based on what you think you need for towing. Even if you tow all the time, you can always add coil spacers to help make up the difference. That would be the better way to go.

Top Bottom