Black Boxes Are Coming

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know if any of you have been following it but, it's a very likely that black boxes will become standard in all new vehicles very soon. So, what do you guys think, good thing that will help everyone or, a total invasion of privacy?

Feds propose making black boxes standard in new cars, raising privacy hackles
blackboxbox.jpg
Federal auto safety officials today proposed a new rule requiring black boxes -- data recorders that capture the moments before and after a crash -- in all new U.S. cars and trucks. Such recorders already come standard in most new vehicles, but the auto industry opposes a mandate, and the rule will do little to solve a simmering legal battle over who can see what the black boxes know.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it will require all new U.S. vehicles to have black boxes by Sept. 1, 2014, noting that 96 percent of 2013 models already come with them standard. The new proposal does not change the 15 types of data black boxes should record when it senses a crash.

"By understanding how drivers respond in a crash and whether key safety systems operate properly, NHTSA and automakers can make our vehicles and our roadways even safer," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "This proposal will give us the critical insight and information we need to save more lives."

See the rest of the article here:
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...andard-raising-privacy-hackles-175356232.html

Trail_Creeper

From my understanding all these systems will track is the speed of the vehicle, the braking time, seat belt, and if all the safety features work as advertised. If that is all they track then i don't see a problem with them. Now if you start talking about adding GPS, and "tracking" features thats a different story. I do agree the boxed help tell what actually happened in the event of an accident since, 90% of people in accidents do the "yes sir, i was doing the speed limit" and in reality they were doing 80-90mph, or the "Yes sir, he was wearing his seat belt, i don't know how he was thrown through the windshield".

RockyJk

Toyota used these boxes alot when they were having that gas pedal problem cuz some people would just wreck the cars to not pay for em anymore

Skirmish

First thing I would do with it is paint it black. Probably textured paint. Then I would fab some braces for it so it doesn't rip off on the trail. If someone makes a heavy duty version I'd be all over that. Might look for a relocation kit too. Don't care where they mount it. I'd surely want mine in a different spot.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Skirmish said:
First thing I would do with it is paint it black. Probably textured paint. Then I would fab some braces for it so it doesn't rip off on the trail. If someone makes a heavy duty version I'd be all over that. Might look for a relocation kit too. Don't care where they mount it. I'd surely want mine in a different spot.

LOL!

I'm gonna Plastidip mine at first. Just in case I don't like the black. I wonder if PSC or EVO will make a skid for it? I don't want to relocate it.

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
From my understanding all these systems will track is the speed of the vehicle, the braking time, seat belt, and if all the safety features work as advertised. If that is all they track then i don't see a problem with them. Now if you start talking about adding GPS, and "tracking" features thats a different story. I do agree the boxed help tell what actually happened in the event of an accident since, 90% of people in accidents do the "yes sir, i was doing the speed limit" and in reality they were doing 80-90mph, or the "Yes sir, he was wearing his seat belt, i don't know how he was thrown through the windshield".

Even if they say it will only track certain things it will track more everyone already knows that. I am not a fan of it, they don't need to track me and what I do but I think these have been in talks for the last few years now.:thinking:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Its a bunch of bull just one more thing that the government does to control our lives... :naw:

Just going to make it easier for insurance to deny claims

Even if they say it will only track certain things it will track more everyone already knows that. I am not a fan of it, they don't need to track me and what I do but I think these have been in talks for the last few years now.:thinking:

:thumb: :yup: :mad:

No more mandates :icon_crazy:

I'll relocate mine on a rock then roll over it :cheesy: I'm sure there will be a fine or penalty for removing it probably including jail time.. :mad:

FoxC

I'm starting to feel like I'm back in europe.:naw: Way too much big brother shit for me.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I can tell you that these help traffic investigators greatly as far as getting criminal prosecution on collisions where some idiot would otherwise get away. This is GOOD so long as you're not that idiot. Just like most things, you've got nothing to worry about so long as you're not blazing through reds and driving like a moron. I'm pretty sure most Jeep owners aren't these folks. :)

^^^^ going against the grain ^^^^

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Seems like a non-issue to me. The smart phones we all carry track a lot more specific information about what we do on a daily basis. I'm sure if big brother wants to track us, it's easy enough to do using our phones.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sharkey said:
Seems like a non-issue to me. The smart phones we all carry track a lot more specific information about what we do on a daily basis. I'm sure if big brother wants to track us, it's easy enough to do using our phones.

That's why I remove the battery from mine and store it in a copper wire mesh storage box when I travel. That AND wear a tinfoil hat.

Skirmish

The second I'm done with my call I tape my phone to a woodland animal. If it blows up then I know. If it lives it gets a free phone.

Last edited:

Dustless

Ok question on this topic,

Ok so if its used just for the purpose of determining a accident thats great, but how much data is it going to hold onto / store? For us Jeep owners that could back fire on us. If it holds say 3 months worth of data at a time and while we are up on the trails and it records every rock hit to the bumpers or anything else or so forth, whos to say that when the data is gone over after lets say a fender bender or other simple accident who is to stop the insurance company from saying that the damage wasnt done by the accident but happened while up on the trail? and refuse to pay for repairs?:thinking::thinking::idontknow:

Top Bottom