Airbag Light Goes On and Off

Fuhaxian

I've got an issue on hand.

Noticed while driving earlier today that my airbag light keeps turning on and off with that little annoying chime sound. At first it was just once or twice, now it's almost constantly turning on and off. Also when I turn the key I noticed the light turns on the first time, but when I rinse and repeat it no longer turns on. I've got an appointment scheduled with a Dealership almost 2-3 weeks out and I was wondering if you guys can help me solve this issue.

Thanks,
Dan

Bustedback

I had a similar problem with my 2012. I found the connector under the driver seat and squeezed it together a little bit and the light went off.

Tx07JKU

This is happening to me as well. I think it is the clockspring. Luckily, my 2007 jku is covered under extended warranty.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Does it make any difference in the steering wheel position? I have a bad clock spring and mine will go off and on on me as I drove down the road turning the steering wheel.

Fuhaxian

Does it make any difference in the steering wheel position? I have a bad clock spring and mine will go off and on on me as I drove down the road turning the steering wheel.

This is exactly what's happening to me, I can always reproduce it when I turn the steering wheel in a certain spot. Always turns off when I go straight and turns on when I start turning. I went ahead and bit the bullet by buying a replacement part of Amazon for $172. There's a pretty good write-up floating around here somewhere on replacing it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Before you do any of the above...do you have a bag or something resting on the passenger seat? If you have something light on the passenger seat (like a few lbs, like a gym bag, a laptop, etc) it will set off the airbag light (it's actually turning off the pass side airbag) because it thinks you put a small child in the seat. This is common on any new car.

Galo

Hey,
Mine is on and off all the time as well. However, I think mine is the connection under the seat, as once or twice I have "bounced " and made it change its state.

Silly Jeeps, sometimes they just want attention.

Good Day and God Bless.

Jason.

Fuhaxian

Before you do any of the above...do you have a bag or something resting on the passenger seat? If you have something light on the passenger seat (like a few lbs, like a gym bag, a laptop, etc) it will set off the airbag light (it's actually turning off the pass side airbag) because it thinks you put a small child in the seat. This is common on any new car.

I actually wished this was the answer but unfortunately my passenger seat has nothing on it. I think I can narrow it down to the clockspring. If I stay in a parking lot while not moving anything I can get the airbag sensor to flash by turning my steering wheel. And it usually always does it at the same spot on the turn. Then immediately goes off if I straighten the wheel back out. Really annoying, just want my part to come in and hope it's the right diagnosis

Fuhaxian

Hey,
Mine is on and off all the time as well. However, I think mine is the connection under the seat, as once or twice I have "bounced " and made it change its state.

Silly Jeeps, sometimes they just want attention.

Good Day and God Bless.

Jason.

I've gone under my seats and inspected the connectors, they seem fine to me, even went as far as to have someone else sit in the passenger seat to verify that way. I think I can narrow it down to my clockspring. It always come on only when I turn the steering wheel and if I sit there doing nothing it'll never turn on

Fuhaxian

Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you all an update especially for those who come in a later time. My new clockspring arrived in the mail last night and I decided to go ahead with the replacement install today. The hardest part about the entire thing is probably removing the airbag, I just went and bought one of those home depot paint can top removers (Right? They don't give them away for free anymore) and pried it open. Everything is pretty much self explanatory from that write up.

Also to answer my biggest question, even if your horn and cruise control still work, doesn't mean your clock spring is still functioning correctly. My horn and cruise worked fine.

Anyways, happy trailing

Dan

PrestonBarringer

Hate to bring up a old topic but I'm having trouble my airbag light comes on when I start and stays on I've cleaned the connector under the driver seat and no change at all does anyone have any ideas

j_colter

Clockspring extension on factory warranty

I just had mine done by the dealer for free, 2007 jk with 140K on it up here in Vancouver, Canada. They said there is an extension on the warranty for it. I think it was 10 years and 150kms.

I just had mine done by the dealer for free, 2007 jk with 140K on it up here in Vancouver, Canada. They said there is an extension on the warranty for it. I think it was 10 years and 150kms.

I wish that was true in the states....Anyway you can ask your dealer if that counts in the U.S. and if they can provide some type of document? I would rather get mine fixed for free!

Top Bottom