Rubicon Trail w/o Lockers?

Jeepfan30

My Jeep stats are listed below in my signature (3" EVO coils, 35" tires, full armor, winch, 4.56 gears). I am planning a first trip to do the Rubicon Trail with a few buddies of mine sometime next year. All my friends have Rubicons, just curious if I will have problems with my current build, and relying on BLD? I have considered installing Truetracs front and rear, would they be worth the money? My Jeep has a lot of articulation, so all four tires would be on the ground most of the time for the LSD to do its thing. I live in WA state and use my Jeep as a daily driver, will probably wheel it once a month or so. My ultimate decision is do I roll the Rubicon Trail with BLD, install Truetracs, or trade my Jeep in for a Rubicon!

IMO you will be just fine. You may need a little tug here and there, but who cares? You will have a bast :yup:

^^^this. Running without lockers has just added to the fun and challenge for me. Ill feel like im cheating one day when i finally add them.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
^^^this. Running without lockers has just added to the fun and challenge for me. Ill feel like im cheating one day when i finally add them.

Or a hero when you pull a broken TJ up a slick muddy hill with just a snatch strap and some skinny pedal! ;)

Or a hero when you pull a broken TJ up a slick muddy hill with just a snatch strap and some skinny pedal! ;)

Ha yup. You did boss that. Luckily for him somebody was fully locked to help him out.

In my case, i didnt have to worry a out breaking my stuff because i knew with open diffs, i wasnt gonna get him up that hill lol. Hell i barely made it myself!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can run a stock JK without locker through the Rubicon so long as you have friends to help you out. The more built up you are, the easier it will be to run and the less chance you will have for damage. Just stay on the main route and you should be fine the way you are.

Jeepfan30

Great, thanks for the feedback and boost of confidence guys! I have really been considering getting the Truetracs front and rear, but not sure how much of an improvement they would be over the BLD. Anyone seen a JK with Truetracs in action on the trail? I have read that they can achieve a 40/60 lock, but definitely not a replacement for a full locker.

Top Bottom