New auto trans and getting transmission related DTC's

JKCRWLR

Hello All!

I'll get straight to the complaint. :sigh:

Vehicle in question:

2010 JKRU with the female transmission

Problem observed:

Transmission took a complete crap, luckily/unluckily enroute to the transmission shop since I knew it was going out.
Replaced transmission with an ATS 42RLE (Barney trans) and torque converter. New trans in and the mechanic took for a test drive around the block. Trans wouldn't shift. So I went down to shop to scan and clear all of the codes figuring they were residual from when the last transmission gave up the ghost on the freeway.
Scan and cleared I took to the road for a spin. Trans shifted a little odd at lower speeds which I would expect in the beginning. What I wasn't expecting was what felt like the trans went into neutral at almost exactly 50MPH. It felt like neutral because the RPMs jumped to 5k.
Startled I let the foot off the gas, turned around and headed back to the shop. Again, at 50MPH the tach jumped to 5k and felt like someone pushed the clutch in on a manual trans.

Got back to the shop and scanned the DTC's, here are the codes in order:

P1790 - Fault immediately after shift
P0731 - Gear Ratio Error in 1st
P0732 - Gear Ratio Error in 2nd
P0734 - Gear Ratio Error in 4th

I tried to find a transmission relearn feature on my Superchips Flashpaq like I had on all of my diesel controllers but no bueno. I flashed back to stock and then reentered the axle ratios (5.13's) and tire size (35.5) and went for another drive.
Literally rinse and repeat, all the same as above.

Went home with head hung low and without my Jeep. Read up on how to reset the ECU/TCM/PCM (whichever you prefer to call it), thinking the computer may accustomed to the last transmission that failed and would need to re-learn.
I forgot to mention that my transmission guy had already spoken with ATS and they stated the trans was ran on a dyno before shipped and everything worked fine.

Next day (today), I went back and performed the shake two dead chickens while dancing in a circle for thirty seconds to reset the computer (actually found the instructions here: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-89.htm )
Again, all of the same as the test drive and codes above.

So here are the two options I have left.

Picking up new speed sensor(s) from dealership tomorrow and replacing the sensors that came with the transmission (then test again)

If no go then I have an appointment at the dealership so they can run their scan tool on it to hopefully diagnose.

One item that the mechanic and I thought strange is that he found one of the pig tails to one of the sensors had already been spliced into but couldn't figure out why.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone experienced this when swapping bad trans for good? (or any other time for that matter)

2. Dealership thinks maybe valve body in trans. Are there any trans guru's on here willing to diagnose for free, sight unseen or that agree with this guess?

3. Should I look into also getting whatever harness to replace the spliced pigtail while I am at it? (I did not get any of the codes above prior to the swap)

4. Anyone looking to buy a 2010 JKRU with new transmission but only willing to drive up to 49MPH and not ask any questions? ;) Complete joke, I do not have enough postings to sell anything on here yet. ;) nor would I wish this on anyone.

Kind of sad I am going through all of this considering I bought the Jeep in August, have driven for roughly 1000 miles and the JKRU only has 56k miles on it and the trans shop said the trans had been rebuilt already once before.

I appreciate your time to read through this post. I searched all over before I started this thread so if this has already been gone through before, forgive me for my ways.

And to mis-quote my favorite starlet "Help me Trans-Obe One Kenobi, your my only hope"

jeeeep

Hooked
are you sure you have the right 42RLE for your 2010? I know they make several different configurations of the 42RLE

JKCRWLR

are you sure you have the right 42RLE for your 2010? I know they make several different configurations of the 42RLE

Jeeeep,
Thanks for the reply. How would I be able to tell? ATS had the core in stock when I called to order so I guess there is a chance.
Here is what my invoice stated: "42RLE Automatic Transmission - 2007-2012 Jeep 3.8L * 4-Wheel Drive * TRANSMISSION ONLY *"
Is there a difference in construction from the outside that would give it away?

Thanks again and happy Friday!

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Hey,

I had the same problem on my Grand Cherokee and it turned out to be the pressure valve body. Prior I had the same symptoms you were experiencing. RPMs would kick up like it was in neutral and etc...once I replaced the pressure valve body it was like brand new. Of course this was after I completely rebuilt the transmission and replaced the torque converter. One of the valves in the pressure valve body was sticking. Hope this helps.

JKCRWLR

Hey,

I had the same problem on my Grand Cherokee and it turned out to be the pressure valve body. Prior I had the same symptoms you were experiencing. RPMs would kick up like it was in neutral and etc...once I replaced the pressure valve body it was like brand new. Of course this was after I completely rebuilt the transmission and replaced the torque converter. One of the valves in the pressure valve body was sticking. Hope this helps.

Monstrousmac, as a matter of fact it does help. That was the guess provided by service guy at the dealership (only spoke with him over the phone).
I will call ATS again this morning.
Thanks for the insight!

Wayne

Top Bottom