Oil question

tonywjk

Greetings all...

Have an oil related question. Before heading out today i checked my oil, 2 quarts low. The last time it was changed was 2700 miles ago, I'm also using synthetic. Is this normal? No leaks on the driveway so I'm assuming normal wear and tear?!?!?

thanks

jeeeep

Hooked
Greetings all...

Have an oil related question. Before heading out today i checked my oil, 2 quarts low. The last time it was changed was 2700 miles ago, I'm also using synthetic. Is this normal? No leaks on the driveway so I'm assuming normal wear and tear?!?!?

thanks

2700 miles and already 2qts low? I wouldn't call that normal. I think Chrysler considers 1qt every 3000 miles normal. If you're under warranty I'd take it in.

I've heard all the high oil usage on the newer models which worries me on the 2015 I just bought, my 2010 does not burn like that and I have over 100k miles on it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
2700 miles and already 2qts low? I wouldn't call that normal. I think Chrysler considers 1qt every 3000 miles normal. If you're under warranty I'd take it in.

I've heard all the high oil usage on the newer models which worries me on the 2015 I just bought, my 2010 does not burn like that and I have over 100k miles on it.

Actually I believe it's 1 quart very 1000 miles.

jeeeep

Hooked
I just found this Chrysler TSB Service Bulletin NUMBER: 09-001-12

there's a lot more to it but in a nutshell:

NOTE: This bulletin applies to all Chrysler Group LLC vehicles equipped with
gasoline engines, except SRT and Viper models or vehicles equipped with
Diesel engines.
DISCUSSION:
Engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from
wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its
cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil
layer is consumed in the combustion process. Varying rates of oil consumption are
accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946
liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with
more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter
(1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty,
that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in
accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule,

CAUTION: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive
manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks).
See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles
driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and
Commercial customers.
There are many factors that can affect a Owner's concern with oil consumption. Driving
habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Inspect each condition listed
below prior to determining if the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.
If abnormal oil consumption is suspected, refer to the detailed diagnostic procedures
available in DealerCONNECT> TechCONNECT under: Service Info> 09 - Engine>
Diagnosis and Testing - Oil Consumption Test And Diagnosis.

WOW! 1 qt every 2000 miles, I had an old Ford truck that burned like that, at least I could see the cloud of smoke behind me - made me feel like batman lol

I just hit 2000 miles in the 2015, guess I better check the oil

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
What I feel is incredibly stupid is I have a 1990 GMC Suburban with 300k miles on a 350 engine that is supposedly factory and never been rebuilt or anything. It doesn't even burn a quarter of a quart in 3000 to 4000 miles.

Just seems like in 25 years difference between todays jeep motors and that burbans motor it would be a little better/wouldn't burn that kind of oil. Luckily my jeep doesn't burn oil yet. Key word is probably yet. LOL.

WJCO

Meme King
Every time I see these specs from the manufacturers I laugh. Ford is one of the worst. On many vehicles they say 1 quart every 1000 miles is within spec. And a lot of Ford vehicles recommend you change your oil every 5000 miles instead of 3000 miles. So in conclusion, when you get your oil changed, your pan should be bone dry with nothing for the tech to drain, and you are still within spec. :D

JakeJK

Every time I see these specs from the manufacturers I laugh. Ford is one of the worst. On many vehicles they say 1 quart every 1000 miles is within spec. And a lot of Ford vehicles recommend you change your oil every 5000 miles instead of 3000 miles. So in conclusion, when you get your oil changed, your pan should be bone dry with nothing for the tech to drain, and you are still within spec. :D

My f150 didn't use any oil at all, which is why my jeep burning so much oil confused me so much

Havoc40

Mine goes through about 1qt every 2,500 miles. I've never owned a vehicle, that didn't have a cloud of smoke behind it or leak like a sieve, consume this much oil.

I'm just hoping I can save for axles quick enough to swap in the freshly rebuilt LS, before it really takes a shit. If it wasn't such a hassle to check compression and leakdown on all cylinders I'd be tracking it. Guess it could be valve guides or seals, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom