Foam Base in Rear Driver-side Quarter Panel?

FOSJ

While running wiring for CB and rear lights, I pulled the driver's rear taillight assembly and noticed the 'bottom' of the driver's side quarter panel is made of foam? Is this stock or something the original owner modified? If stock, anyone know why? Will it hurt if I decide to seal it with some spray foam?

jagrubb99

While running wiring for CB and rear lights, I pulled the driver's rear taillight assembly and noticed the 'bottom' of the driver's side quarter panel is made of foam? Is this stock or something the original owner modified? If stock, anyone know why? Will it hurt if I decide to seal it with some spray foam?

I was underneath mine cleaning some mud a week ago when I noticed the same thing. I'm sure it has to do with the possibility of water getting in behind your taillight and settling there and forming rust if the bottom were sealed in sheet metal. The foam should allow moisture to seep out while also protecting the wiring and taillight electronics from debris kicked up from your tires, etc

LeighP

Its factory....a lump of expanding foam shot over the plastic plug in the bottom of the quarter panel to seal it up. I believe its only later Jk's that have the foam?????? My MY13 has it.

Warebear

A lot of the panels are filled with foam, all the way up to the front. I was told it was for sound dampening and all that good stuff. Stopped by the body shop every day when they were replacing my quarter panel and they had my jeep all torn apart.

Top Bottom