Transfer case hard to engage...

Dopey84

I just serviced my differentials and transfer case.. Now my transfer case is kinda hard to shift into 4lo and back into 2wd... Moving or not. 4hi works fine and shifts easily.. It's mainly just shifting out of 4lo back into 4hi and some from neutral to 4hi .. Anyone else have this problem or what could be the solution all fluid levels are good..

Dopey84

So it's shifting a lil easier... Not sure why it's hard to shift back out from 4lo to 4hi and back into 2wd... It didn't have this issue before... So I used royal purple in the front and rear differentials and oreillys synthetic aft+4 in the transfer case all of which were filled to the bottom of the filler hole barely oozing out... Did I miss something ..? Help

JakeJK

So it's shifting a lil easier... Not sure why it's hard to shift back out from 4lo to 4hi and back into 2wd... It didn't have this issue before... So I used royal purple in the front and rear differentials and oreillys synthetic aft+4 in the transfer case all of which were filled to the bottom of the filler hole barely oozing out... Did I miss something ..? Help

Are you putting it in neutral from 4lo to 4hi?

Not sure if you have to going that direction but I know going from 4 hi to 4 lo you do

Dopey84

No. I'm going from 4lo straight to 4hi without stoping in neutral with the transfer case and I've tried rolling at idle speed to switch back up to 4hi and have stopped and put transmission in neutral to switch and still has a hard time.. Or at least that's what the manual tells me... However it seems to wanna get stuck. It goes into 4hi no problem and back to 2wd no problem. Just once it's in 4lo has a tuff time going back to 2wd

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No. I'm going from 4lo straight to 4hi without stoping in neutral with the transfer case and I've tried rolling at idle speed to switch back up to 4hi and have stopped and put transmission in neutral to switch and still has a hard time.. Or at least that's what the manual tells me... However it seems to wanna get stuck. It goes into 4hi no problem and back to 2wd no problem. Just once it's in 4lo has a tuff time going back to 2wd

To go from lo to hi and hi to low your trans needs to be in neutral and you should be at a stop. Sometimes you need to let the jeep roll slightly forward or back to disengage the transfer case then t will shift with zero issues

Dopey84

Ok I have tried it at full stop with transmission in neutral. And park and it's equally as hard to shift back.. Could it be that since I just changed the fluid it needs to be driven some to get re- lubricated to make shifting easier..? And would using full synthetic aft+4 make any difference?

JakeJK

Ok I have tried it at full stop with transmission in neutral. And park and it's equally as hard to shift back.. Could it be that since I just changed the fluid it needs to be driven some to get re- lubricated to make shifting easier..? And would using full synthetic aft+4 make any difference?

I'm not thinking fluids would be too much of an issue, but I wouldn't continue to shift from hi to lo without stopping and putting it in neutral, I did it once in accident rolling about 4mph and It made an awful grinding noise, thankfully no damage was done

Dopey84

I was at idle barely rolling when I tried to switch out of 4lo and it wouldn't budge til I stopped. That's when I tried putting it in neutral... Also that was like a 5 min drive after I changed the fluids that I switched to 4lo than that's when I heard the noise once I got back to 2wd it went away... I tried 4hi after that and no whine. Than tried 4lo again and had no whine... I'm stumped

JakeJK

I was at idle barely rolling when I tried to switch out of 4lo and it wouldn't budge til I stopped. That's when I tried putting it in neutral... Also that was like a 5 min drive after I changed the fluids that I switched to 4lo than that's when I heard the noise once I got back to 2wd it went away... I tried 4hi after that and no whine. Than tried 4lo again and had no whine... I'm stumped

Mine make a very faint whining noise as well but mine shifts fine still

Dopey84

Well I have an appt. in the morning to get the oil changed maybe my mechanic will be nice enough to check into it for me... I'm thinking that oil just hadn't lubricated everything as quickly as I wanted when I switched it as it has gotten easier to shift the last couple times I drove it. The levels are all good where they should be

JakeJK

Well I have an appt. in the morning to get the oil changed maybe my mechanic will be nice enough to check into it for me... I'm thinking that oil just hadn't lubricated everything as quickly as I wanted when I switched it as it has gotten easier to shift the last couple times I drove it. The levels are all good where they should be

Maybe so, he will be better person to ask than me though haha see what he says

Dopey84

It was just random that this happened.. I haven't used my 4wd in bout 3 months and it worked great than.... Well fingers crossed

Dopey84

He said there was a loose clip of some sort in the linkage causing it to bind up.. Either way it shift into and out 4hi &4lo with no issues and back out with no issues..

Top Bottom