Help with DIY cam bolt delete?

JeepDrum

OK so I bought my JK a couple years ago with a lift already installed (learned my lesson...never again). I realized a couple months after purchase that it had cam bolts on the front LCAs. I had always planned to reverse it at some point but haven't gotten around to it yet. I usually just make sure they're torqued. I think it's finally that time though. I know synergy and some other companies sell washers to fix the problem. However, I was thinking I could just do it myself. My plan is to measure the space between the tabs on the front LCA axle mount, cut a piece of steel flat bar to fit, and drill a hole in the center. I can weld the flat bar on if needed, or just use it as a washer. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Would that work?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That would work but, you can pretty much just weld the cam washers in place and that would keep them from moving around too.

JeepDrum

That's not a bad idea either. Thanks Eddie! My girlfriend has a stock JKU that I was using for comparison and it almost looks like there's a rectangle that can be punched out to use cam bolts. Is that how they're installed? I always thought a drememl or something like that was needed.

plext0r

OK so I bought my JK a couple years ago with a lift already installed (learned my lesson...never again).

You and me both. Never buy an already-lifted Jeep. :doh:

I bought the Synergy "washers". They are very meaty and do a great job wedging themselves right between the little ears on the factory mounts. I went with them along with some Rock Krawler adjustable front LCAs and they seem to be holding up well.

JeepDrum

I bought the Synergy "washers". They are very meaty and do a great job wedging themselves right between the little ears on the factory mounts. I went with them along with some Rock Krawler adjustable front LCAs and they seem to be holding up well.
Good to know also. Thanks!

Top Bottom