315/70R17 duratracs- stock rubi wheels/spacers vs 8.5" aftermarket wheels

zimm

Caught the Bug
My jeep is a week old. I just ordered a rock krawler 2.5 flex kit and now I'm looking to buy 315/70R17 duratracs. My dilemma is the wheels. I already have spidertrax 1.5" spacers on the jeep. I know I can run the stock wheels, but it isn't the best solution. Or I could go aftermarket. I like the AEV salta or the method racing roost. But that's $1200 in tires plus TPMS. But that gets me an 1" wider wheel, I can sell the spacers, and even sell the entire wheel/tire package off my rubicon. So... what would you guys do for a mostly street driven JKU rubicon?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you do know that 315's will be slightly larger in actual size than most 35" tires which typically have an actual measurement of about 33", right? That being said, if it's an option, I personally would sell your spacers and get new wheels with the proper back spacing. If nothing else, tire shops won't want to work on your Jeep with wheel spacers.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I can sell the spacers (I just picked them up for $100 off the wrangler forum). I can also sell the whole wheel/tire set from the rubicon. There's already a couple sets on craigslist, so I don't think I'll get more than $800 for them.

Now to figure out if I want the method roost, or get AEV. I like the AEV salta a little better, but I've yet to see a shop that sells them ready to go mounted/balanced with duratracs. Method wheels are available from tirerack and ready to go with TPMS and $140 cheaper than AEV.

noroad

Im with Eddie, I would look into new wheels. one gets ride of spacers, and two it will be a little easier to sell the wheels and tires you have already mounted up( in my op)

BadBry

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1445885063.132259.jpg

My $0.02! I have 315/75/17 Duratracs with 1.5" spacers & 2.5" Rock Crawler Flex that was installed last week. I do have flat fenders and heavy bumpers which allows plenty of room to full flex.

I was in your same position over wheel choices. After considering price, quality and the abuse new wheels will take in the rocks in New Mexico & Colorado, I opted to keep what I got.

On a similar note, the factory spec for 315 Duratracs is 34.4". Under the weight of my 2dr, the actual tire size is 33.75".

I say stick with your original wheels, especially if you like the look & because you have already made the investment in wheels when you purchased your JK & dont forget the cost of spacers. Just keep everything torqued and your good to go.

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 171077

My $0.02! I have 315/75/17 Duratracs with 1.5" spacers & 2.5" Rock Crawler Flex that was installed last week. I do have flat fenders and heavy bumpers which allows plenty of room to full flex.

I was in your same position over wheel choices. After considering price, quality and the abuse new wheels will take in the rocks in New Mexico & Colorado, I opted to keep what I got.

On a similar note, the factory spec for 315 Duratracs is 34.4". Under the weight of my 2dr, the actual tire size is 33.75".

I say stick with your original wheels, especially if you like the look & because you have already made the investment in wheels when you purchased your JK & dont forget the cost of spacers. Just keep everything torqued and your good to go.

Did you mean 315/70? not 315/75? I didn't think they made a 75 series for Duratracs. But if they are the 315/70R17, I believe they are around 34.5 as you said.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That does look really good. Maybe I should just run what I got for now. How did the install on the flex go? How did you mount the spare?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I ran 35s on stock wheels and spacers and loved it, untill I thought about how much the stock wheels will get chewed up offroad (that was the 12 rubicon 5 spoke wheels), and decided I wanted to get something aftermarket. I ended up getting a good deal on beadlocks, but still I would go aftermarket. One less thing you will have to worry about checking when ditching the spacers, not to mention what others said about shops not touching the jeep due to the spacers. I would go method as well, not sure if AEV has any issues with wheels after all the pintler breaks, but still I wouldnt give their wheels a chance.

BadBry

The Rock Krawler Flex install went on very easy with help from my brother & his girlfriend. It took about six hours and we took our time to do it right. Make sure you have a good floor jack (3ton or greater) as you need room to work. Additionally, make sure to get large jack stands (3 ton minimum) & a set of four is best to avoid a lot of physical movement.

Springs gone on rather easy, but make sure you disconnect your locker vent tubes (if equipped), ABS & break lines to allow room for the axel to droop.

Good luck & share your pics when done...

zimm

Caught the Bug
The Rock Krawler Flex install went on very easy with help from my brother & his girlfriend. It took about six hours and we took our time to do it right. Make sure you have a good floor jack (3ton or greater) as you need room to work. Additionally, make sure to get large jack stands (3 ton minimum) & a set of four is best to avoid a lot of physical movement.

Springs gone on rather easy, but make sure you disconnect your locker vent tubes (if equipped), ABS & break lines to allow room for the axel to droop.

Good luck & share your pics when done...

Thanks! Will do. I got all the stuff to do it, even a mig welder. Years ago I did a 6" lift on my old leaf sprung F250 and that was NOT fun. Nothing like having a dana 60 front axle roll off the jackstands and slide to the rear wheels (angled driveway) while working with 95 pound, 12 leaf deaver springs. This "should" be a cake walk.

BadBry

Forgot to mention. I have the TeraFlex spare tire carrier. Well worth the investment as the tires are heavy.

I also looked at AEV Pintlers & Fuel Boost wheels. Back in Sept, I visited the Northridge 4x4 shop in Longmont, CO with the intent on buying AEV'. After seeing all of their DD rigs with after market wheels that were "used VERY well". I knew from that point that I did not want to spend good money to thrash my wheels. Ill just use what I got and live with the results. Keep in mind that I have only been running spacers w/ Duratracs for a short time. Spacers have been good to me prior while running factory 32's, but larger tires run SO MUCH BETTER.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks. Despite that some hate it, I think I'll go with the TF carrier. And I'm going to bite the bullet and go with new AEV wheels instead of running spacers and stock wheels. Plus I can get more for my stock set if it's all together. Those stock mud terrains are only $120 on tire track right now.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks. Despite that some hate it, I think I'll go with the TF carrier. And I'm going to bite the bullet and go with new AEV wheels instead of running spacers and stock wheels. Plus I can get more for my stock set if it's all together. Those stock mud terrains are only $120 on tire track right now.

Soo both Hanson and Crawler Conceptz are $200 bucks cheaper than TF. And you just got done complaining about the cost of owning a Jeep..... Did you really want opinions or confirmation?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Soo both Hanson and Crawler Conceptz are $200 bucks cheaper than TF. And you just got done complaining about the cost of owning a Jeep..... Did you really want opinions or confirmation?

Wow I didn't know I was complaining. The hanson looks like shit too. I did my due research and will try the TF and report back. I don't need confirmation either.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Wow I didn't know I was complaining. The hanson looks like shit too. I did my due research and will try the TF and report back. I don't need confirmation either.

Then what was this?

Now I'd love to buy a sweet US made bumper, but since I dropped $41,000 on a this jeep last week, $1200 on a rockkrawler lift a few hours ago, about to buy $1700 worth of goodyear duratracs, and probably $1300 in AEV wheels, I don't have much to spend on avoiding my tailgate getting destroyed or my spare bouncing down the highway.

Looks like complaining to me. :thinking: :idontknow:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Get the AEV pintlers. They will crack, which should match the crack on the TF carrier perfectly. After all, it's important to have a consistent theme on your Jeep.

Hot94Z28

Why would anyone buy a TF tire carrier? I got a full bumper with tire carrier for not much more than the TF tire carrier?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Get the AEV pintlers. They will crack, which should match the crack on the TF carrier perfectly. After all, it's important to have a consistent theme on your Jeep.

I was going to post this exact line, but your ninja skills are simply too fast. Damn you sharkey, damn you.

Top Bottom