Tie Rod

jonnyb19

Just bought a jeep and it has a 4 inch pro comp lift. The passenger side tie Rod end is damaged. My question is, would this cause wobble? It feels like death wobble to me, but I'm not an expert and this is my first jeep. It really only happens when I hit bumps at slow speeds (15-30mph). It feels fine and has never happened at higher speeds ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1445968361.883368.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Just bought a jeep and it has a 4 inch pro comp lift. The passenger side tie Rod end is damaged. My question is, would this cause wobble? It feels like death wobble to me, but I'm not an expert and this is my first jeep. It really only happens when I hit bumps at slow speeds (15-30mph). It feels fine and has never happened at higher speeds View attachment 171220

DW is almost uncontrollable and will make you scared to death to hit any bump. If you don't have this, then it's just bump steer or a shimmy. Either way, a loose tie rod could cause both. Is the joint loose or just a torn boot? Either way it should be replaced, but if it doesn't have play, you probably have something else going on.

JAGS

Hooked
Just bought a jeep and it has a 4 inch pro comp lift. The passenger side tie Rod end is damaged. My question is, would this cause wobble? It feels like death wobble to me, but I'm not an expert and this is my first jeep. It really only happens when I hit bumps at slow speeds (15-30mph). It feels fine and has never happened at higher speeds View attachment 171220

That would be bump steer. Could be tie rod. Could be you have something loose and need to check torque. Might not hurt to also do a drag link flip since you are running 4"+ lift.

I'm sure others can share more specifics on how to fix, things to check. [emoji106][emoji106]

jonnyb19

I need to get channel locks and check. I have checked the torque on the track bar and almost everything else. I have the check lest to run but can't do it until Thursday or this weekend. I'm just trying to get an idea. The track bar has some movement at the adjustment nut can't think of the name right now", but it is torqued and doesn't move anywhere else. I am the 4th owner and it is a. 13 and has 9K miles. This is my first jeep so it's all new to me.

WJCO

Meme King
Here is a video of the track bar.

https://youtu.be/JTraZhsul8g

That's very possibly the source of your shimmy. Track bars take very little movement to allow DW or shimmy to occur. Also, as far as checking your tie rods, don't use channel locks as the ball and socket joints sometimes will have slight up and down play, Instead have a friend turn the wheel back and forth while you visually watch the tie rod and see if it has any horizontal play in the socket. You could do this yourself with a video camera as well.

Trail JK

That's very possibly the source of your shimmy. Track bars take very little movement to allow DW or shimmy to occur. Also, as far as checking your tie rods, don't use channel locks as the ball and socket joints sometimes will have slight up and down play, Instead have a friend turn the wheel back and forth while you visually watch the tie rod and see if it has any horizontal play in the socket. You could do this yourself with a video camera as well.

^^^ this.

Ball joints look fine.

rinkishjk

You need to tighten up that trackbar jam nut, and cycle the steering to check your tre like ^^ said. Check your ball joints using a floor jack under the axle, and a pry bar under the tire at 6, prying up towards the fender and check for looseness.

jonnyb19

I knew I had to tighten the jam nut, I'm going to do that Thursday. I will see if the shop I am using will let me use a Jack well. I found another post that mentioned got having the gap in the clamps lined up with the gap on the adjustment sleeves on the drag link. Fixed that, it was no help. Hopefully tightening the jam nut works. I already plan on ordering a synergy tie rod and teraflex track bar, but it would be easier on the bank account if I could spread them out.

rinkishjk

I knew I had to tighten the jam nut, I'm going to do that Thursday. I will see if the shop I am using will let me use a Jack well. I found another post that mentioned got having the gap in the clamps lined up with the gap on the adjustment sleeves on the drag link. Fixed that, it was no help. Hopefully tightening the jam nut works. I already plan on ordering a synergy tie rod and teraflex track bar, but it would be easier on the bank account if I could spread them out.

May I suggest u look at other track bar options. The tf track bar has been known to snap at the top end of the threaded area. I have seen this personally, and a few people on here have posted pics. I have jks ones, and have run them since 09.

jonnyb19

Thanks that's good info to have. I was looking at that one first, I'll prolly stick with that. But now I have a whole new problem with a leaking fluid. FML!!!

rinkishjk

Thanks that's good info to have. I was looking at that one first, I'll prolly stick with that. But now I have a whole new problem with a leaking fluid. FML!!!

What color is it, and where?

Edit... Nm I answered your other post. It's the ac/heater box drain.

jonnyb19

So I tightened the track bar and I'm still getting crazy shakes when I hit bumps at low speeds. My drag link and track bar are not in the same plane, is that a possible cause? I'm gonna check my ball joints tonight

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So I tightened the track bar and I'm still getting crazy shakes when I hit bumps at low speeds. My drag link and track bar are not in the same plane, is that a possible cause? I'm gonna check my ball joints tonight

How did you straighten the track bar?

jonnyb19

I mean one is at a more steep angle than the other. I though I read somewhere that they should be at the same angle.

Last edited:

jonnyb19

Ok, I'll check it out tomorrow. I took the track bar completely off today noticed the ones on the passenger side are way bigger than the bolt. They are not ovaled but it fits in the track bar perfectly. Also, the track bar was pulled so far to one side that I had to screw the bolt all the way out, it didn't just pull out. So I adjusted that. I didn't get any crazy shakes on the way home so we will see in the morning. BUT, my traction light came on. This is never ending already

Top Bottom