Rk X-factor long arm upgrade

jgarz05

I've decided I'm going to eventually upgrade to long arms for my jku I can get the X factor upgrade by rock krawler for $1500. That being said looking at other manufacturers for the $1000 more is the evo bolt on kit that much better?

What long arms are you running and what are your thoughts on it?

Pictures are always a plus[emoji16]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How tall are you wanting to run your Jeep? You only really need long arms if you're planning on going over 4" of lift and of course, unless you're planning on running 37's or bigger with full factory fenders, that's way more lift that you really need. And even at that, long arms won't give you more flex - just a better ride on pavement or when bombing through the desert. If it were me, I would stick with factory length arms which are plenty long for 3.5" of lift and run them with the bolt on coil overs. I have run this setup and can assure you that you'll get way more bang for your buck especially in the flex department.

jgarz05

How tall are you wanting to run your Jeep? You only really need long arms if you're planning on going over 4" of lift and of course, unless you're planning on running 37's or bigger with full factory fenders, that's way more lift that you really need. And even at that, long arms won't give you more flex - just a better ride on pavement or when bombing through the desert. If it were me, I would stick with factory length arms which are plenty long for 3.5" of lift and run them with the bolt on coil overs. I have run this setup and can assure you that you'll get way more bang for your buck especially in the flex department.

I'm in 37s with flat fenders now the plan is evo bolt on coilovers sitting around 4.5" of lift when I can afford axles then 40s.

I was looking at RK adj arms $1000 for a full set that's why I figured $500 more might as well go long arms. The only downside would be paying for long arms to be installed since I don't weld.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in 37s with flat fenders now the plan is evo bolt on coilovers sitting around 4.5" of lift when I can afford axles then 40s.

Why so tall? Being that you are running flat fenders, you should be able to clear 37's with 3.5" of lift. Hell, that's what I run to clear my 40's. Of course, that's just me as I prefer a low stance.

I was looking at RK adj arms $1000 for a full set that's why I figured $500 more might as well go long arms. The only downside would be paying for long arms to be installed since I don't weld.

Again, long arms won't do anything for you on the trail. They will NOT give you more flex. If you're determined to run a tall lift and spend a lot of time on the highway, the geometry correction they will provide will help improve your ride.

jgarz05

Why so tall? Being that you are running flat fenders, you should be able to clear 37's with 3.5" of lift. Hell, that's what I run to clear my 40's. Of course, that's just me as I prefer a low stance.

Again, long arms won't do anything for you on the trail. They will NOT give you more flex. If you're determined to run a tall lift and spend a lot of time on the highway, the geometry correction they will provide will help improve your ride.

Just personal preference for the added height. I thought long arms also allowed more down travel. I didn't want to spend all this money on coilovers and a mid arm kit and have my control arms be my limiting point all because i didn't spend a little more money.

So you think Evos coilovers full mid arm kit at around 4 inches would still preform well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just personal preference for the added height.

Cool, to each their own.

I thought long arms also allowed more down travel.

What would get you to think that? Your axle can only articulate as much as your shock length. They will be your limiting factor.

I didn't want to spend all this money on coilovers and a mid arm kit and have my control arms be my limiting point all because i didn't spend a little more money.

So you think Evos coilovers full mid arm kit at around 4 inches would still preform well?

LOL!! I always get a good laugh at the term "mid" arm. As if you can add an inch to a factory length arm and that is somehow "mid" or half way to a true long arm that will be about 10" longer. Yeah, coil overs and 4" of lift on FACTORY length arms will work great. I have done it for years back in the day and would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to and way before I would consider long arms.

jgarz05

Cool, to each their own.

What would get you to think that? Your axle can only articulate as much as your shock length. They will be your limiting factor.

LOL!! I always get a good laugh at the term "mid" arm. As if you can add an inch to a factory length arm and that is somehow "mid" or half way to a true long arm that will be about 10" longer. Yeah, coil overs and 4" of lift on FACTORY length arms will work great. I have done it for years back in the day and would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to and way before I would consider long arms.

As for why I think it affects your articulation my thought was that it being longer and les of an angle normally would allow more down travel compared to factory arms being on a steeper angle. Also I want adjustable arms over keeping factory arms because my rear axle already seams to close to the pinch seams there were cut (I'm around 2.5 inches with 37s so it's close)

Btw thanks for the response and pointing me the right direction!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As for why I think it affects your articulation my thought was that it being longer and les of an angle normally would allow more down travel compared to factory arms being on a steeper angle.

Well, you can think that but it wouldn't be true. Again, your axle can only articulate as much as your shocks will allow. Longer arms will only correct your suspension geometry and that will offer a better ride on pavement as they will travel in a manner similar to a stock Jeep. They will also help to reduce axle swipe at a full flex but really, that's hardly enough of a reason to want long arms. If you lived out west and did a lot of hard and fast driving out in the desert, long arms would help improve your ride there too.

Also I want adjustable arms over keeping factory arms because my rear axle already seams to close to the pinch seams there were cut (I'm around 2.5 inches with 37s so it's close)

Btw thanks for the response and pointing me the right direction!

Installing adjustable factory length lower control arms will help you to reposition your axle to where it needs to be under your axle. You will of course want upper arms too to set your caster angle up front and pinion angle in the rear. Installing arms that are too long in factory mounts will cause significant coil bowing that will require adjustable lower spring perches to be installed and even at that, you will find that your rear track bar will make contact with your coils.

Just trying to save you some money and provide you with accurate information.

Top Bottom