Brake Lines

hawklee

i just added a 3.5 rough country lift and the kit came with brake line extender clips that mount to the wheel well in place of the current clip and hang down 3-4 inches or so and then your supposed to connect the factory clip to the bottom of the new clip, thereby dropping the lines about the same amount of the lift.

My problem is that I can't move the front factory clips more than an inch down as the metal/plastic tube doesn't seem to want to move downward or bend or flex all that much.

I saw some other kits where they don't mention moving it but instruct you to take the line out of the big bracket connected on the bottom and discard that lower bracket altogether.
My kit did not tell me to do that, and i was able to reinstall both front brake line brackets in the factory mounts without stretching the lines. (there is still some slack)

Questions:
1. Even though i only lifted the jeep 3.5, wouldn't the new longer shocks allow for more travel, and wouldn't I need more than 3-4 inches of increased slack in the line?
2.Up front should i leave top bracket in place and remove lower, and if so, how the hell do i get the line out of the bracket? and is that enough slack?
3.The rear i was able to pull down the metal/plastic tubes to lower the factory clip....but is it really low enough? Again, I'm thinking that i need more than that due to the longer shock travel.....or am i overthinking it?
4.Is there a good way to test if lines are long enough?
5.Seems like what I've read so far is that rear lines are more important to have the extra length, but i thought the front has more travel? So which is it?

thanks!
Hawklee

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I think 2011 and up drop brackets don't work up front. Just remove that bracket on the spring perch and your brake and abs lines are plenty long from the factory

hawklee

once separated from the bracket, do i leave the lines between the shock and the springs as they are now, or run behind the shock similar to the rear brake lines?

hawklee

So I was able to get brackets off without removing the shock. Should I leave the lines between the shock and spring as in pic or take of shock to move lines behind it. Thanks
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446224069.899295.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446224088.810727.jpg

CJW

Move behind the shock or at least zip tie them off to the shock body. U don't want them getting pinched in the spring

Top Bottom