Alignment cost, did I get hosed?

bowtech50

Did I take a bath from my dealer on an alignment? I had it checked after my 3.5" AEV lift install and slight shimmy issue. I was shocked when the bill was $368.00 dollars!! They told me the wrangler comes with a fixed alignment and they had to put an alignment bolt kit on it?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You got hosed my friend. I payed half that for my shop to adjust all my control arms and all for me. As frank posted tho you can easily do it yourself for FREE. I was just lazy and didn't want to do it lol

Yup. Hosed. Hate to say it but all the write ups you need to completely align it yourself at home are posted here on WAL. Camber is the only thing you cant really adjust, and shouldnt need to unless you bend your axle C's

Edit: and what the hell is an "alignment kit" anyway?

WJCO

Meme King
My first thought, is yes, my friend, hosed big time.........however......average shop rate is about 120 an hour (give or take). Post a picture of your bill if you can. Alignment I'm guessing is 60 bucks. Parts kit is 100 (just guessing). Labor for parts (lets go on the cheap side) half hour per side, so 120 for that labor........so 280 (give or take).....still shy of your posted amount though !

Now everyone is right here, you could have used the write up and done it your self. And there's no guarantees you needed what they sold you......but I'd be curious to see your invoice just to see what they did for that amount, there could be more to the story. Truthfully on a Jeep though, unless parts are out of spec, 60-120 is really the max a shop should charge.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did I take a bath from my dealer on an alignment? I had it checked after my 3.5" AEV lift install and slight shimmy issue. I was shocked when the bill was $368.00 dollars!! They told me the wrangler comes with a fixed alignment and they had to put an alignment bolt kit on it?

Last I checked, there's nothing an alignment shop could have done with the lift you have except maybe re-center your steering wheel. Nothing else would have changed or could be changed with the components that you have. Needless to say, yes, you got hosed.

bowtech50

Receipt states Labor amount is $214.95, parts $123.26 and misc. charges of $21.50. Total is $359.71 plus $8.78 tax for a grand total of $368.49. I thought the AEV GEO brackets were designed so the cheap caster bolts were not needed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Receipt states Labor amount is $214.95, parts $123.26 and misc. charges of $21.50. Total is $359.71 plus $8.78 tax for a grand total of $368.49. I thought the AEV GEO brackets were designed so the cheap caster bolts were not needed?

WTF, I would demand to know what "parts" they sold you and what the hell was the "miscellaneous" charges. That's total bullshit.

bowtech50

(2) bolt-hex head- $33.42= $66,86
(2) washers- cam- $23.10= $46.20
(2) nut-hex flange lock- $5.10= $10.20
Total parts= $123.26

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Total parts= $123.26

WTF, $66.86 for 2 bolts???? $46.20 for 2 washers???? Did you verify that they actually installed these outrageously overpriced bolts and washers? Did they actually show you what your caster was before and after they installed these totally useless parts that have actually made things worse?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would bring it back and tell them to take them off and refund your money.

And next time, ask questions before you waste $400.

bowtech50

Yes they did. I am looking at the printed alignment sheet and it does not appear they changed much. They didn`t change caster at all, it is at 3.2. Camber is at left -0.6 and right -0.4. Toe is .10 for both. Total toe was changed .1 total?

Total parts= $123.26

Ummm yea...thats a load of shit. IF they installed these parts, they probably arent needed and a upcharged like 600%. Id go back and have a little chit chat.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Badly hosed. I have an AEV lifted Jeep on 35s, and still get my alignment done at the dealer for $90 or so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes they did. I am looking at the printed alignment sheet and it does not appear they changed much. They didn`t change caster at all, it is at 3.2. Camber is at left -0.6 and right -0.4. Toe is .10 for both. Total toe was changed .1 total?

WTF!! I would demand a refund just based on that!! Cam bolts will NOT change your toe at all and they basically charged you to jack up your axle mount holes. The numbers you have will PROVE that they did NOTHING. God, this just pisses me off to hear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Badly hosed. I have an AEV lifted Jeep on 35s, and still get my alignment done at the dealer for $90 or so.

I hate to say it but you're getting hosed too. Unless you have adjustable components, there is NOTHING your dealership can do to align your suspension.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I hate to say it but you're getting hosed too. Unless you have adjustable components, there is NOTHING your dealership can do to align your suspension.

I only had it done when I installed my lift/tires and balljoints to make sure all my camber/toe was on point. Im sure I could have done it myself, but it was just a time saver.

Not to be negative, but did you read that or go over it with them before you left?

Edit: id like to hear how they justified it

Top Bottom