40's

jkodak

Will 40 inch tires on 20" bead locks fit under my JKur with 3.5 inch metalcloak lift. I have trimmed stock flares and trimmed pinch seam.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As in a 40x15.50R20? That's about the setup I'm running now on our Dozer JK. You can make it work but you'll need to do a lot more trimming to your body than you've probably already have. Depending on how much stuff you have, you will most likely still rub at a full flex too.

I hope you're running 60's or bigger for axles too. If not and if you actually wheel your Jeep, you will break what you have.

jkodak

Thanks for the reply. I don't have 60's for axles. Not yet anyways. Just the stock 44's. I will regear 5:13's before the tire and rim upgrade. And I was hoping to wheel carefully :) I will probably step down to a 38x14.5x20 until I can buy 60's.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the reply. I don't have 60's for axles. Not yet anyways. Just the stock 44's. I will regear 5:13's before the tire and rim upgrade. And I was hoping to wheel carefully :) I will probably step down to a 38x14.5x20 until I can buy 60's.

That's just as bad.

ChaosNein

40s on 5.38s and FACTORY 44s!!! Wheel the crap out of it!!! and then call me when you need some axles :beer:

EDIT: THIS IS SARCASM

Last edited:

jkodak

I seen the video Eddie posted about breaking his 5:38's with 40's on the Dana 44's. I know eventually I will break something. When I do, I will have to pull the trigger on 60's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I seen the video Eddie posted about breaking his 5:38's with 40's on the Dana 44's. I know eventually I will break something. When I do, I will have to pull the trigger on 60's.

So you know, the axle only held up for about 2 months. When it finally gave, it was in less than ideal conditions. Call me crazy but if I were to do it again, I wouldn't. When I did it, it was before anyone was really trying it and I wish I had someone tell me back then what a bad idea it was to do. But then, that's just me.

jkodak

Sincerely, Thanks for the clarity and responses. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sincerely, Thanks for the clarity and responses. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

:cheesy: So, I guess that means you're going to do it anyway. I see that you're from IL. Not too much in the way of hard wheeling up there so you might be okay for a while.

crowrb29

So maybe a little off topic and maybe a tangent but do factory 44s hold up pretty well to 37s? I've seen all the IG posts on EvoLander and it seems as though they do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So maybe a little off topic and maybe a tangent but do factory 44s hold up pretty well to 37s? I've seen all the IG posts on EvoLander and it seems as though they do.

Depends on where you live and the kind of wheeling you do. Speed more than rock crawling will ruin a factory axle. If you live out west and like to bomb through the desert, a factory axle won't hold up for squat. If you live back east and just play in off road parks, you'll probably be fine. The rear axle will hold up better than the front being that the front is really just a glorified Dana 30 but again, it all depends on what you're doing with your Jeep.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Why kill the good 44s instead of selling them and using that money towards 60s? I never understood the concept of knowingly killing a part instead of selling it...even for a BBQ pork sandwich...still worth it over simply a guaranteed break and then it's worthless iron.

crowrb29

Depends on where you live and the kind of wheeling you do. Speed more than rock crawling will ruin a factory axle. If you live out west and like to bomb through the desert, a factory axle won't hold up for squat. If you live back east and just play in off road parks, you'll probably be fine. The rear axle will hold up better than the front being that the front is really just a glorified Dana 30 but again, it all depends on what you're doing with your Jeep.

I see, I try to take it easy when I can bombing through the desert. It's hard though cuz it's so damn fun hauling ass. I have a d30 up front right now with what equates to 34s but when I wear those out I was considering 37s after I wear out my welcome on all the trails I am capable of right now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see, I try to take it easy when I can bombing through the desert. It's hard though cuz it's so damn fun hauling ass. I have a d30 up front right now with what equates to 34s but when I wear those out I was considering 37s after I wear out my welcome on all the trails I am capable of right now.

Well, so long as you know you're going to break it, I'd just play with what you've got till you can afford to upgrade to a ProRock 44 or until you need to upgrade to a ProRock 44. At least, that's what I did only, I couldn't get my front axle to last very long.

crowrb29

Well, so long as you know you're going to break it, I'd just play with what you've got till you can afford to upgrade to a ProRock 44 or until you need to upgrade to a ProRock 44. At least, that's what I did only, I couldn't get my front axle to last very long.

Gotcha loud and clear. I'm on a budget so I'm a big advocate of playing with what I've got til it doesn't work anymore.

metalic

40's on my factory rear and front aftermarket. Looks bad ass but I wouldn't wheel it. I bolted them up while I'm swapping to 37's but after you see your jeep on 40's it makes you want to upgrade axles. Lol

Attachments

• 1446201897355.jpg
    1446201897355.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom