winter items you keep in your jeep?

Wethy

was just wondering what everyone who lives in a cold climate keeps in their jeeps during winter. putting together a kit for this winter as ill be doing a lot of highway driving from january to march and dont wanna get screwed if something happens.

heres what i have so far
- small candles
- matches
- minus 40C sleeping bag
- first aid kit
- recovery gear(straps, D-Rings, etc)
- extra fluids
- flares
-CB w/weather

what i think ill want/need
- trifold shovel
- hatchet(for the days spent offroad)
- cat litter/gravel(as a traction aid)

wondering what y'all carry and if theres anything you'd add/take away from my list, looking forward to your opinions

WJCO

Meme King
I'll try to get a picture when I can, but we have a full 72 hour kit in ours for all 5 members of the family. This is a kit that I built myself, rather than bought. Extra clothing layers, non-perishable food, etc. We always have tools, recovery gear, and fire-making tools as well. Most of this is if we went off of a normal-traveled road or something and got stuck. If we go more rural, we always bring extra sleeping bags too. I backpack year-round out here, so I have most of that kind of gear ready to throw in the Jeep if the entire family goes more rural in the Jeep in the winter.

Last edited:

Wethy

Appreciate the ideas I do have a charger and cables and flashlight I keep in the jeep all year round so that stuff is covered and Id appreciate the pics. I'm thinking something like the a grade survivor hatchet that has a flint stick in the handle as an option. Plus the matches and stuff just kind of a backup

Wethy

Also noticed I posted this in the write up section meant to put in the tech section so if a moderator could move it that would also be appreciated

Wethy

One of My Next mods is hopefully a dual battery setup but I doubt that'd get done before winter comes and a winch after that

Zstairlessone

When I was in the mountains in Colorado I carried (in addition to what you have listed) sterno, a little cooking stove, a space blanket, extra socks, enough food in cans/dried for 4 days, lots and lots (6 gallons) of water, a butane (cheap) lighter, two of those Duraflame logs, extra pair of gloves, a pair of mittens, a small solar charger and a bucket. I had this and the sleeping bag (plus my -35° boots and my handheld CB with extra batteries) on the floor in the back every day I went out regardless of the season. Just remember to cycle through the stuff that is perishable and test the rest every week or two.

WJCO

Meme King
When I was in the mountains in Colorado I carried (in addition to what you have listed) sterno, a little cooking stove, a space blanket, extra socks, enough food in cans/dried for 4 days, lots and lots (6 gallons) of water, a butane (cheap) lighter, two of those Duraflame logs, extra pair of gloves, a pair of mittens, a small solar charger and a bucket. I had this and the sleeping bag (plus my -35° boots and my handheld CB with extra batteries) on the floor in the back every day I went out regardless of the season. Just remember to cycle through the stuff that is perishable and test the rest every week or two.

Indeed. Good words.

Havoc40

I keep a large ARB recovery bag, an old duffle bag, and a tool bag ready to go. I always have the recovery bag in the back. A folding shovel, bottle jack, and first-aid kit is always in the rear cubby. Been thinking about using a tote but the bags make it easy to grab what's needed. In the winter everything rides in the back.

I keep a tree saver, snatch strap, shorty strap, shackles, snatch block, ARB inflator/deflator, winch controller, magnetic worklight, and gloves in the recovery bag. In the duffle bag I have a pair of clothes, couple pairs of socks, flashlight, fire starter, flares, compass, GPS, couple MRE's, couple different knives, muck boots, and my old Carhartt bibs on top. The tool bag has all the essential hand tools and my impact.

Pyro1415

Alright so I keep some good jackets in the back. Mostly a fake leather one that's pretty warm and my military ones because I never now what formation might require till the morning of. But yes several jackets. Gloves work and warmth kind. Also I throw in some 14" tall waterproof steel toe boots winter thickness for those emergencies. Remember cold kills batteries quick so switch those out often. I have 2 surefire lights which use 123a batteries and they can last a season of standby use easily. Other than that water and none perishable foods. I usually keep tuna packets and some energy bars. Saves space and they can keep hunger off your mind and give some energy. I drive an auto so I have an auto jump starter which can also charge cellphones and laptops also with a built in flashlight(decent one is $100 good is $300) it's whole kit fits under a seat just the starter is about the size of a large portable hard drive. Finally an old military canteen kit has the attached pot and can be used to melt snow for water.
For the jeep I'd lose the kitty litter airing down should give you a traction increase that or switch it out for road salt.

Wethy

I do appreciate the suggestions guys and keep em coming. I will say the kit I'm making will mostly be for highway use only I will be travelling 2-3 hours Monday to Friday on the highway from January to March so I don't think I'll need more than a days worth of food supplies. If I'm off-roading definitely. And since I don't have a winch some of the winch supplies won't be necessary either ha ha. I also don't have OBA or a compressor so maybe I'll pick a cigarette lighter compressor up and add that to the gear list and I always keep a heavy spare winter jacket in the jeep all year round because you just never know!

Top Bottom