Question for anyone who has installed their own c-gussets

Slowpony46

How powerful is your welder?

I want to do them at home while I do the lift and gears, but all I have access to at home is a 110v, 140 amp mig welder and I'm starting to wonder if I will get enough heat with it to penetrate the end forging. I'm wondering if anyone has done it successfully with a small welder.

Otherwise, any idea what a stripped JK Dana 30 housing weighs? I could bring the whole housing elsewhere where I have access to a much larger welder but only if it is light enough for me to lift it by myself.

Slowpony46

I've got the evo kit, so the gusset itself is just 3/16 plate. I talked to the tech department at Hobart and they weren't too confident in the machines ability to penetrate the forging with only 140 amps.

Havoc40

I burned mine on with a Lincoln 210 MP mig and .035 wire...but was using 220v. With perfect penitration, I was running around 110-115 amps. So I don't see any reason why running on 110 wouldn't work.

Edit: here's a few pics. Kind of tough to see with the fresh paint. The track bar bracket was burned on with the same welder, but plugged into 110.

20151004_165819.jpg

20151011_135953.jpg

Last edited:

Heavyhaul07

In order to get a good weld with cast you should preheat the cast. When u weld them on hold you weld a bit longer on the c than you do on the gusset. You should be just fine

Slowpony46

I burned mine on with a Lincoln 210 MP mig and .035 wire...but was using 220v. With perfect penitration, I was running around 110-115 amps. So I don't see any reason why running on 110 wouldn't work.

Edit: here's a few pics. Kind of tough to see with the fresh paint. The track bar bracket was burned on with the same welder, but plugged into 110.

View attachment 171868

View attachment 171869

So your Lincoln is a dual voltage welder? When you welded the gussets on, were you on a setting that works with 110v input then? Meaning it didn't really matter that you happened to be plugged into 220 at the time?

Thanks!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
In order to get a good weld with cast you should preheat the cast. When u weld them on hold you weld a bit longer on the c than you do on the gusset. You should be just fine

The axle C's on the factory D30 and D44 JK axles are not cast, they are forged steel.

toxicwaste29

I used my Hobart handler 140 with .035 wire. No issues at all. It also handles more than other smaller welders. Does up to 1/4" so I didn't have the amps turned all the way up

Drunic

I used a harbor frieght 180 amp 240 volt mig and it was just fine. I'm pretty sure I read the 140 volt works for this application in a thread before.

toxicwaste29

I used flux core but I can't stand the spatter you get from it. If you can use solid wire with gas. I do have good solid welds and didn't have issues

aalzuhair

Thanks WJCO :) i'm really liking the info on the site .. great site :thumb:

Cozdud, one learns as they try :) ... I learn something new every day lol like ALWAYS wear sleeves when you weld

Top Bottom