Are you running 18" wheels on your JKUR?

JimmyW

If you are, I'd like to get some recommendations. I'm looking at putting 285x75x18s on a JKUHR. To be more specific, I'd like an 18x8.5 with about 5.25" backspace. About all I can find are 18x9s.

Dopey84

I have the optional 18x7.5 wheels on my Sahara and at full turn my wheels would rub my sway bars.. I'm running 285 60 r18. My question for you is do you have a lift or considering spacers.. Up until I got my spacers I dealt with the rub.. I believe the stock backspace is 6.25 or in that area.. Just things to consider..

Right Rudder

I have stock 17" wheels with spacers but many friends I have who grabbed 18's regret it due to increased tire prices.

If you are stuck with the 18's already then ignore this, but if you are seeking them out then be aware.

Just some quick examples below:

35's

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...pc=40573&tmn=Trail+Grappler+M/T&typ=Truck/SUV
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...pc=40568&tmn=Trail+Grappler+M/T&typ=Truck/SUV

37's

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...pc=40598&tmn=Trail+Grappler+M/T&typ=Truck/SUV
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...pc=15241&tmn=Trail+Grappler+M/T&typ=Truck/SUV

Last edited:

JimmyW

Thanks. I already have a 2.5" lift and run 285x75x17s on AEV rims with Toyo AT2s. It's a great setup. I was just considering a way to go to 35s with the same tire profile. A 285x75 should offer the same sidewall and tread specs in 17 and 18. I don't think the tires are that much more expensive, and AT2s have a great tread wear warranty, unlike the MTs.

Right Rudder

Cool man it's your money, Enjoy 18's. Are you trying to fit bigger hardware inside the wheel or something? Just via a quick google search it looks like increased tire cost from 17's to 18's is about 10%-20% across the board depending on your specific choice of tire. No reason to get new wheels when you can just throw on spacers for way cheaper if cutting your wheel wells/fenders isn't your thing for fitting concerns.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I don't think the tires are that much more expensive, and AT2s have a great tread wear warranty, unlike the MTs.

I guess the term "much" is relative to everyone...but as mentioned, I'd never go 18's. Since My old stock sahara tires, I realized the tire selection is much fewer, and the tire cost is much more than that of a 17" wheel. Currently running 37's on 17's and love the tire to wheel ratio. Ultimately it's up to you, your wallet, and your desires, but I agree with what has already been said.

JimmyW

Thanks, everyone. You guys are correct about the money and variety. However, I'd like a 35 that's the same profile as my 34s. To make me sound even weirder, I'm very fond of my newer AT2s. They are prefect in heavy duty rocks and great on the road. I don't do much mud, but they should suffice. I do a bunch of mountain snow, and the reports that I've heard leave me confident that they'll get me up and down this winter. With a 50,000-mile tread warranty, they should last a while, or much more than the MTs.

So, 285x75x17s are 33.9"x11.3". 285x75x18s are 34.8"x11.3". Both are E-rated, which I like. There is no sacrifice in sidewall height/flex between the 17s and 18s, as there are when you go to an 18 with a shorter sidewall. I like to keep my tires inside the fenders as much as possible, and I lean toward a little thinner tire, so I'm not crazy about 12.50 17s. Where the limited variety hurts is in quality rims. I'd like an 18x8.5 with around 5-5.25 backspace, but it looks like18x9 is about all there is. I found 1-2 ProComp and American Racing wheels, but don't know the quality. A Raceline rim may be better if I can find one.

daverawr

I'm running the Mickey Thompson classic II 18x9 unsure of back spacing but they've been great the 3-4 times I've hit the trail with them ( only had car for 5 months so far. ) the tires are 35s as well. I usually air down to 14-15 PSI haven't had problem with the beads yet * knock on wood* never had it rub the sway bars or anything at full turn yet either. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446425352.570498.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446425371.630183.jpg

JimmyW

I'm running the Mickey Thompson classic II 18x9 unsure of back spacing but they've been great the 3-4 times I've hit the trail with them ( only had car for 5 months so far. ) the tires are 35s as well. I usually air down to 14-15 PSI haven't had problem with the beads yet * knock on wood* never had it rub the sway bars or anything at full turn yet either.

Thanks very much. Your rims have 5" backspacing. What size are your BFGs? They look like ATs, but I'm not sure. The newer KO2s offer a few 18s. There are a number of choices in 18x9, but 18x8.5 is tougher to find. I did find a ProComp: http://www.extremeterrain.com/pro-comp-alloys-procomp-jk-pxa70368973.html

daverawr

Thanks very much. Your rims have 5" backspacing. What size are your BFGs? They look like ATs, but I'm not sure. The newer KO2s offer a few 18s. There are a number of choices in 18x9, but 18x8.5 is tougher to find. I did find a ProComp: http://www.extremeterrain.com/pro-comp-alloys-procomp-jk-pxa70368973.html

The tires are 325/65 18 so 35x12.5 and they are the BFG AT T/A KO. Waiting for these to go bald and will probably go with the KO2 for added performance in the Mud. Would go the KM2 I think it was which were mud terrains or Nittos Mud grapplers or Generals depending but I don't find myself in the mud too often or really at all so that's why I'm leaning towards the KO2 cause it's better than the KO and I really like the KO so far. And not much road noise as I expected.

Those are some nice wheels. I think I'll be going for the method bead locks though when I decide I want to fork up the money for new wheels though. Been eyeing them down for quite some time now

Last edited:

JimmyW

The tires are 325/65 18 so 35x12.5 and they are the BFG AT T/A KO. Waiting for these to go bald and will probably go with the KO2 for added performance in the Mud. Would go the KM2 I think it was which were mud terrains or Nittos Mud grapplers or Generals depending but I don't find myself in the mud too often or really at all so that's why I'm leaning towards the KO2 cause it's better than the KO and I really like the KO so far. And not much road noise as I expected.

Thanks again. There's a slight difference between the 325/65/18 and 35x12.50s, so you may want to check the specs. For what you describe, I think that the Toyo AT2s would be better. Certain size AT2s come with the Xtreme tread, which is somewhat more aggressive. Also note that BFGs run small, while Toyos are pretty much true to specs.

daverawr

Thanks again. There's a slight difference between the 325/65/18 and 35x12.50s, so you may want to check the specs. For what you describe, I think that the Toyo AT2s would be better. Certain size AT2s come with the Xtreme tread, which is somewhat more aggressive. Also note that BFGs run small, while Toyos are pretty much true to specs.

Using a tire calculator says 34.6 x 12.8 but when i measure it with measuring tape its almost exact but a few mm under, 35 inches. Haven't measured the width though. hm ill do some more digging into the AT2s then. Ill also see how the KO2s are going to perform on my dads landcruiser when he gets them on.

Top Bottom