Transfer case acting a bit weird

mastrcruse

Had a question or looking for some "that's normal" reassurance about my t case. I did the rubicon T case swap and it's been all groovy and working really well after a few off-roading adventures.

The other day I picked up the jeep from a local offroad place and prior to leaving we disconnected and put it on the RTI ramp. The person that put it up there put it in 4 low. Once it came down, it wouldn't go into any level of drive...stayed in neutral. We had to push it a few feet for it to finally engage. It was if it was bound and it needed to be unwhined.

Now it's got me freaked out haha. I put it into 4H the other day, shifted perfectly fine and I turned (now it was on dry pavement so that was probably dumb) and as I drove away to put it back into 2H, shifted perfectly fine, felt as if it was catching, something popped in the front right side axle, and all was fine after that.

Any thoughts? The feeling that I get is that it's not disengaging very quickly but maybe it takes more than 30-40 feet to do so. 1st thing is it was probably stupid to do it on dry pavement but other than that, let me know.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
always try to shift into 4HI or 4LO when wheels are straight.

even though the manual states you can shift to 4Lo while coasting, I always come to a complete stop, put the transmission in N, shift to 4Lo then back in gear

Top Bottom