Converting from 2.5" coil lift to EVO Coilovers

mojo jojo

I previously installed a Teraflex 2 1/2" coil lift with the Fox shocks on a 2013 2-Door. I am now thinking i want to increase the size of the springs for more travel and to have ability to clear 37" when I purchase my next set of tires. and am considering doing the EVO bolt on coilers. I am trying to estimate the hidden costs of what it will take to make this conversion.

My last lift included the following:
New front track bar, rear track bar bracket, front lower control arms, rear upper control arms, FOX stabilizer, longer brake lines, taller bump stops, wheels with 4.5" backspace, 35" tires. I also sleeved and gusseted the front axle.

If I go coil overs I assume I will need the following
EVO front coil over kit, EVO rear coil over kit, front upper control arms, rear lower control arms, front and rear driveshafts, wheel spacers to get to the 3.5" requirement listed by EVO. Since I will have it apart I was going to flip the drag link and upgrade the tie rod. I was looking at the Synergy stuff or the EVO drag link flip with synergy tie rod.

What I don't know is:
Do I need new end links? The Teraflex kit gives you longer for the front and you move the stock fronts to the rear.
Will the Teraflex brake link extensions be long enough for the EVOs?
I assumed I would adjust the bumpstops when I made the tire size change as well as chromoly axles and new ball joints
Is there anything I need to change?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I previously installed a Teraflex 2 1/2" coil lift with the Fox shocks on a 2013 2-Door. I am now thinking i want to increase the size of the springs for more travel and to have ability to clear 37" when I purchase my next set of tires. and am considering doing the EVO bolt on coilers. I am trying to estimate the hidden costs of what it will take to make this conversion.

My last lift included the following:
New front track bar, rear track bar bracket, front lower control arms, rear upper control arms, FOX stabilizer, longer brake lines, taller bump stops, wheels with 4.5" backspace, 35" tires. I also sleeved and gusseted the front axle.

If I go coil overs I assume I will need the following
EVO front coil over kit, EVO rear coil over kit, front upper control arms, rear lower control arms, front and rear driveshafts, wheel spacers to get to the 3.5" requirement listed by EVO. Since I will have it apart I was going to flip the drag link and upgrade the tie rod. I was looking at the Synergy stuff or the EVO drag link flip with synergy tie rod.

What I don't know is:
Do I need new end links? The Teraflex kit gives you longer for the front and you move the stock fronts to the rear.
Will the Teraflex brake link extensions be long enough for the EVOs?
I assumed I would adjust the bumpstops when I made the tire size change as well as chromoly axles and new ball joints
Is there anything I need to change?

First off welcome to Wayalife!

I ran the teraflex 2.5" kit before my coilovers as well. Basically everything that I had got sold to a friend and what I would suggest you do as well. The Evo kit is very complete in parts needed.

Before I go any further is the only purpose more travel or do you like to do some high speed stuff? I say this because on a 2 door you can run the Evo enforcer with kings and fit 37's perfectly.

Now to your questions:
1. No the coilover kit comes with new swaybar links.
2. No. Use the new extended brake lines in the kit.
3. No need to change the bump stops as they will be fine. You adjust to coilovers to adjust for tire size.
4. I suggest going back to the oem trackbars and utilizing the raised rear bracket and the Evo drag link flip kit.

mojo jojo

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at doing the enforcer or 3.5" metal cloak kit as my other option. I was debating spending the extra money now to do coilers to give me the most flexibility down the road. I already feel a little regret for not just doing this initially.

Did you do the King bumpstops? Since the kit looks complete, I think my budget will allow for the front ones now. The rear one I would have to get some cutting and welding done. I don't have the ability to do it and would have to pay a shop. When I combine that cost with the cost of the bumpstops I would bust my budget.

Pyro1415

I think coz asked of you will be doing high speed business for the coil overs because he is looking to save you money. Being one of those silly people running 37s on a d30 I wouldn't recommend it but I don't know what your jeep has. Also with 37s on a stock jk axle you won't be able to truly appreciate those coilovers. A teraflex 2.5" coil lift can fit 37s with flat fenders and some trimming of the pinch seams. If you'd rather prioritize a pr44 over coil overs. They can fit 37s with stock fenders and a 3/4" spacer in the rear if you don't mind a little rub at flex. Just my two cents since I've thought about the same thing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think coz asked of you will be doing high speed business for the coil overs because he is looking to save you money. Being one of those silly people running 37s on a d30 I wouldn't recommend it but I don't know what your jeep has. Also with 37s on a stock jk axle you won't be able to truly appreciate those coilovers. A teraflex 2.5" coil lift can fit 37s with flat fenders and some trimming of the pinch seams. If you'd rather prioritize a pr44 over coil overs. They can fit 37s with stock fenders and a 3/4" spacer in the rear if you don't mind a little rub at flex. Just my two cents since I've thought about the same thing.

Exactly I'm looking to save him money. Also I agree a pr44 is more important especially if he likes to go fast in the desert then do the coilovers after his money is recouped.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at doing the enforcer or 3.5" metal cloak kit as my other option. I was debating spending the extra money now to do coilers to give me the most flexibility down the road. I already feel a little regret for not just doing this initially.

Did you do the King bumpstops? Since the kit looks complete, I think my budget will allow for the front ones now. The rear one I would have to get some cutting and welding done. I don't have the ability to do it and would have to pay a shop. When I combine that cost with the cost of the bumpstops I would bust my budget.

Do you like to do high speed desert runs?

No I do not have the king bumps and I prob will not add them unless I move out west.

mojo jojo

I actually have new axle money already set aside but it isn't part of this budget. I previously had a 2009 and I intended to purchase axles for it but the shop recommended I wait until I break or bend the factory ones instead of paying parts and labor to upgrade ball joint, axles, etc. and then paying labor again to move the to my new axles. The old ones never bent of broke but I drove slow and sexy over obstacles on 35s. I did sleeve and gusset the D30 in my 2009. I figured I might get lucky with the D44 in my current jeep since i sleeve and gusseted it also for a couple hundred bucks. I also think breaking an axles makes a better bar story and Instagram photo then just paying a dude to swap it out.

I appreciate saving money but I also want to make sure I spend enough to get the best long term value. I'm kicking myself in the moneymaker because It would have been cheaper for me to have done this in the first place than to have done the 2.5" first only to replace it a few years later. I would love to run fast through the desert but haven't had the opportunity yet. My goal is to build a jeep that doesn't limit my future options. I want to take at least one destination jeep trip and one destination motorcycle trip each year.

I didn't mention flares but I will also be doing a set when I do the upgrade. I already did Evo front bumper, Evo rear d-links and fascia piece, EVO sliders with rocker protection, a little lighting, and some other stuff. I am still sorting out the difference between the Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts, and Metal Cloak Hardline series flares to chose which to purchase. Similar to the axles, I have a separate budget for this. If you haven't noticed I always do too much research, do the math, and track every penny.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm an old muscle car and motorcycle guy trying hard to be better at jeeps.

Pyro1415

I actually have new axle money already set aside but it isn't part of this budget. I previously had a 2009 and I intended to purchase axles for it but the shop recommended I wait until I break or bend the factory ones instead of paying parts and labor to upgrade ball joint, axles, etc. and then paying labor again to move the to my new axles. The old ones never bent of broke but I drove slow and sexy over obstacles on 35s. I did sleeve and gusset the D30 in my 2009. I figured I might get lucky with the D44 in my current jeep since i sleeve and gusseted it also for a couple hundred bucks. I also think breaking an axles makes a better bar story and Instagram photo then just paying a dude to swap it out.

I appreciate saving money but I also want to make sure I spend enough to get the best long term value. I'm kicking myself in the moneymaker because It would have been cheaper for me to have done this in the first place than to have done the 2.5" first only to replace it a few years later. I would love to run fast through the desert but haven't had the opportunity yet. My goal is to build a jeep that doesn't limit my future options. I want to take at least one destination jeep trip and one destination motorcycle trip each year.

I didn't mention flares but I will also be doing a set when I do the upgrade. I already did Evo front bumper, Evo rear d-links and fascia piece, EVO sliders with rocker protection, a little lighting, and some other stuff. I am still sorting out the difference between the Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts, and Metal Cloak Hardline series flares to chose which to purchase. Similar to the axles, I have a separate budget for this. If you haven't noticed I always do too much research, do the math, and track every penny.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm an old muscle car and motorcycle guy trying hard to be better at jeeps.

Yeah the hardest decision I have is if I want to sink my spending money into the bike, jeep or guns.

Yeah the axle breaking story doesn't really do it for me. I'd rather not be the special person who lost their jeep in the middle of the desert 50 plus miles from the nearest town and 10 miles from cell reception. But if you wheel with others it's not really a worry. The rubi d44 just has a stronger ring and pinion than a jk30, plus if your locked with 37s it can break pretty easy. Idk if you want the coil overs for flex you should be fine. But high speed running I'd stick to smaller tires and keep a buddy around unless you upgrade before doing it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the king bumps up front, and really didnt need them but ended up getting them anyway. I feel I could use them in the rear more than the front.

SFNick

I have the king bumps up front, and really didnt need them but ended up getting them anyway. I feel I could use them in the rear more than the front.

I feel the same way. I hardly ever bottom out in the up front but the rear was constantly hitting the bumps; I switched to a 250/300 spring any it's been 100 times better.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
If you can afford the coilovers get them. They are awesome with the double d long arm. If money is tight then go enforcer.

Top Bottom