Is the JE REEL 1350 driveshaft greaseable?

Dubaibentzen

A friend of mine is installing a JE REEL 1350 heavy duty front driveshaft and the workshop raised a concern. Is it greaseable? With all the sand driving we do here in Dubai, the workshop was worried that it might "dry out"...
Is that something to be worried about and what can be done?

noroad

The shaft it self is greasable as for the joints that depends on the type of joint, if it has solid joints that part is not greasable. if you are looking at the shaft the large tube that the small one slides in and out of should have a fitting somewhere on that tube.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Reel is/was using no geaseable sealed joints on the shafts. You will need to verify on your driveshaft

WJCO

Meme King
What is the pro / cons then on the sealed joints vs non-sealed (OEM Jeep is non-sealed I believe?)

The manufacturer wants you to feel warm and fuzzy that you don't have to maintain the joints. But really this creates a problem because once the lube overheats the joint will start wearing and there is nothing you can do to service it.

However, on older joints that were serviceable, the con was that as more and more entry level techs didn't give a $h!t about their jobs, they wouldn't service them at all and this in itself would create a lack of lube problem to the joint.

Several others but that's the basics IMO. And chances are the newer joints probably save the manufacturers money, it always boils down to that on their end. Bottom line, metal on metal parts require lubrication, whether sealed or not.

Tree Frog

Have heard that u joints with grease zerks are weaker and more likely to crack / break.
Photos are out there of the differance.

My Adams 1350s are also non grease able u joints.
I would think the 1350s should be strong enough with the zerks but guys way smarter than me are building these.
Call Reel and ask them.

Curious myself as I love to play on the dunes.

Eskelund78

Reply from the supplier Northridge 4x4, "They don’t run Greasable U-joints on driveshaft’s because of failure as well as a lot of Driveline manufactures, if you don’t keep up service on a greasable joint they can fail quickly
Sealed Joints are a bit stronger as well"

Well I think that's good enough for me .... Guess we will just have to see when they wear out, hot and dusty desert conditions here in Dubai, it will be put to the test ! [emoji3]

Havoc40

Ya...I just bought front and rear JE Reel 1350 shafts in October. I was told they were sealed joints, but received greasable. I'm going to wait until spring to swap out the u-joints for sealed which is what I prefer to run. I've broken many u-joints on drag cars and solids hold up the best. Not really happy about the whole ordeal, but it is what it is at this point.

JAGS

Hooked
Reel was/is in the process of going back to non-greasable. This was in September. They were seeing shorter overall lifespan of the serviceable joints. I had my front DS joints all replaced after 27-28K. They were greasable joints. When I called Jim he told me to go with with non-serviceable HD joints as replacements. He's seeing about 40k+ on those.

For the record, I regularly had the DS greased/serviced and it still went at 27k. So I don't think it was just from neglect.

Eskelund78

I put in my order on 30th October and received them early November here in Dubai, guess I should see myself lucky then, getting the sealed u-joints ! And forget what my local installation 4x4 shop was worried about !

Top Bottom