Painting plastic

bowtech50

Is it possible to paint plastic with any luck. More specifically bushwacker flat tube flares? I have the opportunity to buy a set for almost 1/2 price, but would like to paint them if it is possible? Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Plasti dip works fairly well from what I've heard. I haven't tried it myself but have a couple friends that have and love it. You could always sand them down and paint them regularly too.

Peak

Your local auto parts store should sell a plastic trim paint, that should work good.

CREEPR

Heat them with a heat gun. Hair dryer will work but take way longer. If you are just wanting them to look new.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Your local auto parts store should sell a plastic trim paint, that should work good.
This^^ local stores like a lowes, Home Depot, auto parts store, etc will carry a plastic specific paint.

Heat them with a heat gun. Hair dryer will work but take way longer. If you are just wanting them to look new.

This works really well as well. Over the summer I used a heat gun on my stock flares. Here are some before, during, and after pics.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446693682.641578.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446693701.565497.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446693716.989975.jpg .

jesse3638

Hooked
The heat gun removes the chalky white look of old fenders? Does this trick work on other vehicle trip plastics?

el_chupo_

Krylon Fusion paint, sold at most home improvement stores. Designed to bond with plastics, which can have problems with some paints.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Are you trying to paint them to match the jeep? I would suggest a body shop if you want the best paint job as they will be able to add to a bonding agent to make the paint hold up better. I can say tho, depending on how you paint them, they can look badass when you leave the outer "tube" black and really makes them look even better.

Ddays

Hooked
I've seen a couple Jeeps with these flares painted and they look really good. I have these on my Jeep (unpainted tho) and really like them. They have a grained finish so they would be super easy to get good results.

If you want to DIY, look for an auto body/paint supply store near you. There's one by me that custom mixes rattle cans on the spot. They would be able to add the bonding agent Hinrichs mentioned. You could save some bucks that way.

Devallee

Krylon Fusion paint, sold at most home improvement stores. Designed to bond with plastics, which can have problems with some paints.

X2. Used this on all my plastics and its held up for a few years now. Hasn't chipped or anything yet the paint is made to flex a little with the plastics and stuff it's great stuff. Just scuff it up with some fine grit sandpaper (unless there's prior paint in it then you'll have to remove it) and clean it really well and you're good to go

Ddays

Hooked
There you go. They note to add a flex agent.
See my previous post above - your best bet to match your factory color is to try a automotive paint supply shop that can make up rattle cans. If you take these to a paint shop you'll pay thru the nose. For reference - I'm getting my EVO tire carrier powder coated to match my red and that's gonna cost me $450!

Top Bottom