Air Locker 101

jorgelrod

Hooked
Jeep's at the shop to replace the Detroit Locker with a Yukon Zip Locker, I've run auto lockers before but this is my first selectable, what pointers can you guys give me in terms of care, maintenance and operation of an air locker...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Only engage it at a full stop. Otherwise just regular diff fluid maintenance a specially after deep water crossings will do.

noroad

Most locker manuals say under 5mph to engage, most lockers wont even be fully locked until some tire movement.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
It sounds stupid but in my rubi it had a push button to engage and you never fully knew if it was engaged or not. I would of definitely preferred it hooked up to a rocker switch instead. That way theres no guessing if its engaged or not, you know its either off or on.

noroad

It sounds stupid but in my rubi it had a push button to engage and you never fully knew if it was engaged or not. I would of definitely preferred it hooked up to a rocker switch instead. That way theres no guessing if its engaged or not, you know its either off or on.

rubi lockers are funny. they also take tire rotation to get fully locked, and as for knowing if its locked or not that's what the light is suppose to do(suppose to due is a lose term here lol). small test to see if your locked is trying to make a turn. front will be hard, rear will also be hard turn but not as hard.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm not clear on this but I've heard about engagement after some movement an disengagement and re-engagement when shifting to reverse, I've heard this about the Eaton, but not sure if it's a general thing

noroad

I'm not clear on this but I've heard about engagement after some movement an disengagement and re-engagement when shifting to reverse, I've heard this about the Eaton, but not sure if it's a general thing

I don't no much about the eaton, But my locker likes to be rolling just a bit to lock and unlock. and that is in neutral.

Top Bottom