Am I Ready for 40's

snopro

Banned
I currently have a 2010 Rubicon 2dr,
3.5 coil 8 arm with 1.25 body lift and flatties so plenty of room. My question is am I at the point to wait to break something to upgrade my front and rear ends.
I current have in my front end, evo sleeve and guessets, Reid outers, pro-steer uppers and lowers, RCV axles, Teraflex Big brake kit with coast driveshaft. Currie heavy-duty steering arms and drag link as well. My PSC steering is waiting to get installed.
My rear I have upgraded Chrome alloy axle shafts.

Attachments

• image-2691812098.jpg
    image-2691812098.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 491
  • image-1380760461.jpg
    image-1380760461.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 481
  • image-2184821257.jpg
    image-2184821257.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even with your 3.5" lift and 1.25" body lift, you'll most likely still be on the short side and, if you get a good amount of stuff, will need to do a considerable amount of body trimming to make it work without rubbing. As far as axles go, I guess it depends on what gear ratio you're running and how hard you play. With 40's, you really want to be running a 5.38 ratio but, in a Dana 44, that'll leave you with a pinion that is really really small and will ultimately be your weak point - ask me how I know. For us, we couldn't get more than about 2 months or 10 runs out of ours before blowing a ring and pinion but, that's just us.

snopro

Banned
Even with your 3.5" lift and 1.25" body lift, you'll most likely still be on the short side and, if you get a good amount of stuff, will need to do a considerable amount of body trimming to make it work without rubbing. As far as axles go, I guess it depends on what gear ratio you're running and how hard you play. With 40's, you really want to be running a 5.38 ratio but, in a Dana 44, that'll leave you with a pinion that is really really small and will ultimately be your weak point - ask me how I know. For us, we couldn't get more than about 2 months or 10 runs out of ours before blowing a ring and pinion but, that's just us.

Yeah I'm currently running a 5.38 gear ratio and we mostly pretty easy on the skinny pedal. I am thinking of doing the Evo rear coil and stretching out the rear with a cutting the rear wheel wells. I already have a 99 inch stretch that I just lengthen my short arms to the longest specs " as per Joe Thompson" suggested not to exceed. I relocated my rear upper shock locations as well as rear Trackbar location as well. Im using adjustable rear lower coil perches now and had Rock Krawler send me some 3 over lower coil brackets to weld on.
I really think the EVO rear coil might be a better solution for me along with converting to a LongArm
I'm not sure there's many short arm 2dr 40's out there!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I'm currently running a 5.38 gear ratio and we mostly pretty easy on the skinny pedal.

Fast forward to about 9:45 on the video and see how much skinny pedal I was using when our R&P blew...

I also managed to trash my front 44 while just running 37's and anyone who was there will tell you that I was just crawling then as well. Skinny pedal is only part of the equation. From experience, I personally wouldn't run 40's unless I were running 60's or, had a set on the way sooner than later but, that's just me.

I am thinking of doing the Evo rear coil and stretching out the rear with a cutting the rear wheel wells. I already have a 99 inch stretch that I just lengthen my short arms to the longest specs " as per Joe Thompson" suggested not to exceed. I relocated my rear upper shock locations as well as rear Trackbar location as well. Im using adjustable rear lower coil perches now and had Rock Krawler send me some 3 over lower coil brackets to weld on.
I really think the EVO rear coil might be a better solution for me along with converting to a LongArm

Long arms will definitely help improve your ride.

I'm not sure there's many short arm 2dr 40's out there!!

Well, it's back on 37's now but, VENGEANCE was one :yup:

main.php

snopro

Banned
Fast forward to about 9:45 on the video and see how much skinny pedal I was using when our R&P blew...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqkxVi2D9Ng

I also managed to trash my front 44 while just running 37's and anyone who was there will tell you that I was just crawling then as well. Skinny pedal is only part of the equation. From experience, I personally wouldn't run 40's unless I were running 60's or, had a set on the way sooner than later but, that's just me.

Long arms will definitely help improve your ride.

Well, it's back on 37's now but, VENGEANCE was one :yup:

Was your front end built up though or just stock. Yeah I will probably stick with my 37's for now

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok so you built a few 60's and or been around a few
I look at purchasing one and there's so many different options. How would you build yours?!?

I'm a true fan of Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's. In my opinion, there is nothing out there beefier, made to a higher standard and offers way more clearance. The only thing I wish I had done is go full-float rear from the beginning. I would also have gone 8 lug had it been available back then. Here is a video that we did highlighting the making of a ProRock. In it, you'll get to see what you would be getting.

snopro

Banned
I'm a true fan of Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's. In my opinion, there is nothing out there beefier, made to a higher standard and offers way more clearance. The only thing I wish I had done is go full-float rear from the beginning. I would also have gone 8 lug had it been available back then. Here is a video that we did highlighting the making of a ProRock. In it, you'll get to see what you would be getting.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWnuO6ZPswo

How about locker wise and optional goodies

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about locker wise and optional goodies

It may not be perfect but, it's hard to beat an ARB locker especially with their new design. It's what we run anyway. Up front, we also run Dynalock hubs, Foote competition shafts and CTM u-joints.

FuriousDz

It may not be perfect but, it's hard to beat an ARB locker especially with their new design. It's what we run anyway. Up front, we also run Dynalock hubs, Foote competition shafts and CTM u-joints.

Not trying to hijack but what are dynalock hubs and how do they work/differ with the air locker?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Dynaloc's are manual locking hubs and just built a lot stronger than an old school WARN hub.

JaySC

Hi Eddie, it seems you are still wheeling pretty hard on 5 lugs...are there any clear disadvantages, or is it just a matter of making sure the lugs remain tight?

snopro

Banned
Yes, Dynaloc's are manual locking hubs and just built a lot stronger than an old school WARN hub.

Yeah I use to own a few Fords that had Warn, I did replace less Warn hubs than the Spicers. I used to own a snow plowing business and we beat the heck of our trucks especially the u joints .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie, it seems you are still wheeling pretty hard on 5 lugs...are there any clear disadvantages, or is it just a matter of making sure the lugs remain tight?

Depending on how hard you're wheeling, the disadvantage is that there's a lot less holding your wheels in place. You can upgrade to 9/16" studs and that will help but, 8 lug is the better way to go.

JaySC

Depending on how hard you're wheeling, the disadvantage is that there's a lot less holding your wheels in place. You can upgrade to 9/16" studs and that will help but, 8 lug is the better way to go.

Thanks...saving up for PR60's is a pain in the ass. Then there's the high steer kit, PSC assist, etc. Selling a kidney is NOT beyond me lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks...saving up for PR60's is a pain in the ass. Then there's the high steer kit, PSC assist, etc. Selling a kidney is NOT beyond me lol.

Man, I hear ya. If I could afford it, I would have already made it happen on Rubicat. I'd really like to regear too but, don't want to have to spend the money twice. Just gonna keep plugging away until we break or can afford to make the swap. :crazyeyes:

snopro

Banned
Man, I hear ya. If I could afford it, I would have already made it happen on Rubicat. I'd really like to regear too but, don't want to have to spend the money twice. Just gonna keep plugging away until we break or can afford to make the swap. :crazyeyes:

Maybe Santa will bring you one, that is if you been good !!!

Top Bottom