Flashcal on a 2015?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm getting ready to change out the factory tires/suspension/gearing and have a few concerns.

first off, my jeep is a 2015 MANUAL TRANS! :thumb:

I'm currently trying to figure out if its worth $160 for only 4 real usable features on my 15. My jeeps came from the factory with things like one touch lane change, radio and headlamp delay options, horn chirp options when locking doors, blah blah, blah. so the fact is, $160 for the following:

1) Corrects Speedometer for tire upgrades (I'm going from 255/75 to 37/1350)
2) Speedometer re calibration for gear/axle swaps (I'm going from 4.10 to 5.13)
3) Engine Idle adjustability for winching? (how does this even work as the winch isn't connected to any CPU input, does it just idle up ALL the time? or is a feedback voltage thing? Either way, I'm sitting in the driver seat while winching and my feet work just fine IMO... but I guess it COULD be nice depending on execution)
4) TPMS "options" (what are the "Options"? as much as I like the TPMS, and wish to continue to use it in the future, I have read that the only options offered now are "on" or "off", if this is this true, in all honesty, we are talking about turning off a light)

So in conclusion, we are talking about dropping $160 to correct the speedo, and turn on/off a light? Is this correct? While I agree that these are GREAT products, and are worth every penny to someone with an automatic trans, being as I have a MANUAL TRANS these features ultimately seem more like "nice to have" rather than "MUST have or limp mode"

Anyone with experience regarding this please share

Eventually, I will probably break down and purchase a programmer to either adjust or turn off my TPMS, and correct the speedo; I'm just curious if it has utility I am not taking into account on a 2015 MANUAL TRANS that will push me to order one sooner, rather than later. Thanks.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I kept the procal from my 12 which worked perfectly for my 15. Since I have an auto a true programmer may add a little extra hp or whatever they do, but the procal does more than I needed it to. You can also set the tpms sensor system as low as 10 psi I think and it will still read without throwing a light on the dash. I actually used it when I was still on my stock rubi wheels on the 2 door and thought it was nice to have. Did not keep that on the 4 door however and just set it to 0. Someday if I dual drill the wheels for another stem, or get monster valves I will add the sensors back in.

I have never used the winch feature, but I think you just plug the procal back in and it raises the idle for when you need it for long winch pulls.

I just cant justify spending over 400+ on a programmer, even thought I think the trail dash is cool how it can monitor a few more things with the screen. For me the 160 was well worth it being used on 2 jeeps it paid for itself.

here is the guide I keep on my phone now.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/AEV_JK_ProCal.pdf

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I kept the procal from my 12 which worked perfectly for my 15. Since I have an auto a true programmer may add a little extra hp or whatever they do, but the procal does more than I needed it to. You can also set the tpms sensor system as low as 10 psi I think and it will still read without throwing a light on the dash. I actually used it when I was still on my stock rubi wheels on the 2 door and thought it was nice to have. Did not keep that on the 4 door however and just set it to 0. Someday if I dual drill the wheels for another stem, or get monster valves I will add the sensors back in.
Can you verify you can still do this? I was thinking of going with the superchips for the easy to use menu but if the procal will allow me to utilize the TPMS system I was forced to pay for, it may be the better option!
Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
2015-11-05 13_10_08-www.aev-conversions.com_isheets_AEV_JK_ProCal.pdf.jpg

are these the same options you get with the Flashcal? does anyone know? This rocks. I could deal with the tire light set for 22psi, Sure the light will still be on when aired down on the trail, but thats how it is now anyway. atleast on the highway the system would still be useable. :thumb:

Ubbb69

I used a 3570 flashcal on my 2015 jeep. After chalking the tires to find the pressure i wanted to run i set my tire diameter to correct size. After flashing my diameter it reset my tpms to the pressure i had in the tires at the time. After checking with superchips they confirmed it to work this way. Set tire pressure before you flash for size. I hope this helps you to make a decision.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I used a 3570 flashcal on my 2015 jeep. After chalking the tires to find the pressure i wanted to run i set my tire diameter to correct size. After flashing my diameter it reset my tpms to the pressure i had in the tires at the time. After checking with superchips they confirmed it to work this way. Set tire pressure before you flash for size. I hope this helps you to make a decision.

This is GREAT info as well! :rock: Thank you Ubbb69

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ubbb69, what does your jeep say when you air down? Refill to what? Does it read out the tire pressure you set it to? A window? For example, if I had a procal, and run 37s, I probably want my tire pressure around 26psi? So with the procal I would set the TPMS to 28/22, so the tire pressure light would come on at 22psi, and the readout would say refill-28psi, even tough I want 26 psi in the tires. I wonder if this is the issue everyone was having with the tpms and why superchips decided to remove that function in the first place?

Ubbb69

Dwiggles it only flashes the psi on the dash. It does not say what to air up to unless it is on screen I have not seen. When I plug the flashcal into the computer it shows 28 psi as the setting saved. Well I am wrong on what I just said. It does call for 28 psi when aired down. I was thinking of my Chevy truck that just flashes the low pressure. 28 psi is what I had in the tires when I calibrated it. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
It shows 28 because you are set at 22. The dash shows 6 psi higher and that's the dead zone for hysterisis. Below 22 light comes on, above 28 to shut back off. You can't go below 22 on 12+ unless you just shut it off at 0

mdrums

Last week I just lifted my Jeep and was comparing the SuperChips with the AEV ProCal. I noticed the AEV allows you to change the low tire pressure warning down to 22psi and the Superchips just turns off TPMS totally. So with the AEV you are still able to monitor tire pressures like stock.
This mattered to me so I chose the AEV. I found it super easy and simple to use.

mdrums

View attachment 172470

are these the same options you get with the Flashcal? does anyone know? This rocks. I could deal with the tire light set for 22psi, Sure the light will still be on when aired down on the trail, but thats how it is now anyway. atleast on the highway the system would still be useable. :thumb:

No the Superchips just turns of TPMS totally. I called Superchips to confirm this too.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

I have confirmed last night that this is how the system works. I took my stock tires down to about 32psi eariler this week, and have been driving with the tire pressure light came on. Last night, I re-flashed the stock tire size, the TPMS light cleared, and did not come back on on my drive to work this morning. :thumb: The EVIC reads out 32psi, but is no longer blinking. I will try to air it down later tonight or some time this weekend and see what it reads to refill, but so far, I think I'm happy. I just hope it will allow it as low as 26-28 psi... maybe I'll try it.

I did NOT update my flashcal, I went straight from the box, to the jeep.

Last edited:

Ubbb69

I have confirmed last night that this is how the system works. I took my stock tires down to about 32psi eariler this week, and have been driving with the tire pressure light came on. Last night, I re-flashed the stock tire size, the TPMS light cleared, and did not come back on on my drive to work this morning. :thumb: The EVIC reads out 32psi, but is no longer blinking. I will try to air it down later tonight or some time this weekend and see what it reads to refill, but so far, I think I'm happy. I just hope it will allow it as low as 26-28 psi... maybe I'll try it.

I did NOT update my flashcal, I went straight from the box, to the jeep.

DWiggles, We took our jeep in to have the backup camera option turned on. When they flashed the jeep it set everything back to stock. Now i can not get the tpms to set lower again. After calling Superchips i have been told it bricked my unit. Make shure if you take it back to have any work done at the dealer they do not flash the jeep when it is set different. Also i think they told me that if i install the software to turn off tpms on my new unit it will not set the pressure lower and the only option i would have is to turn it off.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
DWiggles, We took our jeep in to have the backup camera option turned on. When they flashed the jeep it set everything back to stock. Now i can not get the tpms to set lower again. After calling Superchips i have been told it bricked my unit. Make shure if you take it back to have any work done at the dealer they do not flash the jeep when it is set different. Also i think they told me that if i install the software to turn off tpms on my new unit it will not set the pressure lower and the only option i would have is to turn it off.

Well that sucks, but honestly, I was a little weary of that. That is why I decided NOT to update the flashcal before messing with the jeep. It is good to know that I need to return to stock prior to taking it to the dealer to flash. I have that "O2 sensor recall check notice" that I have still yet to find 30 minutes to spend hanging out at the dealership to take care of. Looks like I will NOT be updating my flashcal ANY time soon! I find it ridiculous and a little dishonest that they have TPMS adjustability written on the box, and broken down in the instruction manual, but removed it from the product... I mean, WTF? I should have ordered a Procal, but its already done...

Ubbb69

Well that sucks, but honestly, I was a little weary of that. That is why I decided NOT to update the flashcal before messing with the jeep. It is good to know that I need to return to stock prior to taking it to the dealer to flash. I have that "O2 sensor recall check notice" that I have still yet to find 30 minutes to spend hanging out at the dealership to take care of. Looks like I will NOT be updating my flashcal ANY time soon! I find it ridiculous and a little dishonest that they have TPMS adjustability written on the box, and broken down in the instruction manual, but removed it from the product... I mean, WTF? I should have ordered a Procal, but its already done...

You can update the flashcal. Just do not install the tpms option. It only gives you the option to shut off tpms and is optional download. If you update the unit and do not install the optional tpms download you will be fine.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
You can update the flashcal. Just do not install the tpms option. It only gives you the option to shut off tpms and is optional download. If you update the unit and do not install the optional tpms download you will be fine.

what does the update give me? All I bought the programmer for is to adjust tire size, Gears, and TPMS. That is it (I have a Manual Transmission) So unless I'm missing out on something, I dont see any need to update it. Or if it starts having a problem...

EDIT: Dont fix it if it isnt broken, Right?

Ubbb69

what does the update give me? All I bought the programmer for is to adjust tire size, Gears, and TPMS. That is it (I have a Manual Transmission) So unless I'm missing out on something, I dont see any need to update it. Or if it starts having a problem...

EDIT: Dont fix it if it isnt broken, Right?

You are correct. From what i was told the updates keep up with any updates from the jeep dealer when they flash it. You may have to look into it when you get the recall done.

Top Bottom