Bumpstops with EVO Level

CarolinaJK

Hey guys! I have the 2" Evo leveling kit and will be adding 35" Mud Grapplers next week. My question is do I also need 2" bumpstops as well? I don't rock crawl, but I hope to start within the next year so might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks

USMC Wrangler

Good question. I haven't added any yet, but haven't had the time with moving to hit any trails. Sub'd for others feedback...

Warebear

Yep you'll need bumpstops. I was told for 37s you need 3 inch extensions and for 35s 2 inch extensions. I'm waiting to put my 35s on until I have them because I don't want to destroy my fenders. Better safe than sorry.

Especially when you're rock crawling. Better to have a free spinning tire than one that is also fighting the friction of being shoved in the fender.

CarolinaJK

Yep you'll need bumpstops. I was told for 37s you need 3 inch extensions and for 35s 2 inch extensions. I'm waiting to put my 35s on until I have them because I don't want to destroy my fenders. Better safe than sorry.

Especially when you're rock crawling. Better to have a free spinning tire than one that is also fighting the friction of being shoved in the fender.

This is very true. My fenders are cut pretty high so I think I could possibly get away with just a little flex. I guess I'll be adding some front/rear 2 inch extensions before my trip to West Virginia in 2 weeks! Thanks for the advice!

speed3d

Hey guys! I have the 2" Evo leveling kit and will be adding 35" Mud Grapplers next week. My question is do I also need 2" bumpstops as well? I don't rock crawl, but I hope to start within the next year so might as well do it right the first time.

Thanks

I have the leveling kit on my '15 rubicon w/35" trail grapplers. I have the bushwhacker flat fender flares & have room with the suspension stuffed to the stock bumpstops, but not by much. You would definitely need them with stock fenders, but that gives you an excuse to trim them or buy flat fenders- and we all need excuses to mod our jeeps, right?

CarolinaJK

I have the leveling kit on my '15 rubicon w/35" trail grapplers. I have the bushwhacker flat fender flares & have room with the suspension stuffed to the stock bumpstops, but not by much. You would definitely need them with stock fenders, but that gives you an excuse to trim them or buy flat fenders- and we all need excuses to mod our jeeps, right?

Very true! My fenders are already cut so I may be able to get away with stock bumpstops then! Thanks bud [emoji111]🏾

jedg

1. Install the tires.

2. Disconnect your front anti-swaybar

3. Jack each side of the axle up one at a time and watch for contact (be it tires or other parts). When you see contact, drop it back about an inch.

4. Measure for the correct bump stop.

You'll need to do that for front and back. That'll get you the correct bump. Lots of stuff can influence the size of bump stop you need. Tire size, shocks hitting max compression, etc...

General rule is match bump stop inch for inch with your lift, but that's just a good starting point.

CarolinaJK

1. Install the tires.

2. Disconnect your front anti-swaybar

3. Jack each side of the axle up one at a time and watch for contact (be it tires or other parts). When you see contact, drop it back about an inch.

4. Measure for the correct bump stop.

You'll need to do that for front and back. That'll get you the correct bump. Lots of stuff can influence the size of bump stop you need. Tire size, shocks hitting max compression, etc...

General rule is match bump stop inch for inch with your lift, but that's just a good starting point.

Perfect! Thanks for explaining that so well!

CarolinaJK

Also, I shouldn't have to trim my pinch seams should I? From what I've read on here it can get close, but not close enough to trim.

Right Rudder

Only way to know for sure if you need pinch seam trimming is to do a flex test just like with the bump stop measuring. Its exceedingly easy to do with a basic saw and gives a good piece of mind that your new expensive rubber isn't going to get sliced and diced by an unnecessary piece of metal hanging into the wheel well at full stuff. I needed to do it with my budget boost and 35" Trail Grapplers on stock wheels with spacers on my 2013 JKUR.

CarolinaJK

Only way to know for sure if you need pinch seam trimming is to do a flex test just like with the bump stop measuring. Its exceedingly easy to do with a basic saw and gives a good piece of mind that your new expensive rubber isn't going to get sliced and diced by an unnecessary piece of metal hanging into the wheel well at full stuff. I needed to do it with my budget boost and 35" Trail Grapplers on stock wheels with spacers on my 2013 JKUR.

Well damn, I guess I'll have to do it with the Mud Grapplers too then. Thanks for all of your advice [emoji106]🏽

Top Bottom