Gas cap and rouble codes

BSHEPHER

Hello from Temecula California. I have had a couple of trouble codes, which I cant remember off the top of my head, but had something to do with the gas cap. Now I have a gas cap reading on the odometer screen. I replaced the gas cap; however, its back on. I followed the gas lines and vent lines and they all look good and I don't really feel like taking to the dealership, who will charge me an arm and a leg. Anyone had this and found an easy fix. It's a 2011 3.8 with 90,000. Thanks in advance, Brandon

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello from Temecula California. I have had a couple of trouble codes, which I cant remember off the top of my head, but had something to do with the gas cap. Now I have a gas cap reading on the odometer screen. I replaced the gas cap; however, its back on. I followed the gas lines and vent lines and they all look good and I don't really feel like taking to the dealership, who will charge me an arm and a leg. Anyone had this and found an easy fix. It's a 2011 3.8 with 90,000. Thanks in advance, Brandon

if you still have your original gas cap, try cleaning the rubber seal with an alcohol swap then rub a light coat of chapstick or some lip balm on the seal of the cap.

then using some alcohol swabs, clean the filler neck rim. you'll probably see some black residue and it'll feel a little rough around the rim of the gas neck fill, clean it as best as you can.

put the cap on and it may take a few starts for the code to clear.

you can also disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes to clear the code if you don't have a device to clear the codes for you.

BSHEPHER

Yeah, I cleaned it and subsequently bought a new one. I reset the code and about a day lay later, it was back on. I haven't had a lot of time to look at it, just a few minutes the other morning and I did notice that the fill tube seemed to move a little more that it used to. So I'll have to give it a good look and see if a vacuum line or something is loose or worn. Well see

Top Bottom