Front Coil Spring question help

maxcustody

I read and research here more than post, but I appreciate all the knowledge. Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions, ideas of what I need to do, or am I worrying over nothing.......

I have a 2014 JK unklimited with a Teraflex 2.5 lift. That was the original lift. Since, I have replaced the shocks to bilsteins and put heavy duty rear OME coils in due to the weight in the rear and pulling an off road trailer.

Back is fine, problem is the front. It has the front Teraflex coils. I have a JCR front bumper and a Warn Zeon 10000 synthetic line winch, plus dual Odyssey batteries. I have maybe an inch between the bottom of my bump stop and the frame, this can't be enough right?

What are my options? I was looking at the front OME coils, will that solve my problem, but will my jeep sit higher in the front? Sorry if this is not enough info. I appreciate any info and suggestions. If money was no object I would probably just put a whole new 3.5 lift on..................

Thanks Scott

Last edited:
Yep, I hardly ever hear about them so it didn't register with me. Someone with more knowledge on springs will have to chime in. Only thing I know about OME is they are supposed to be stiff.

maxcustody

I have the extra heavy in the rear, lots of gear in the back due to all the camping I do and like I said with the trailer. For my set up I like the heavy duty rear coils...........
11827095_449545675216685_517000657_o.jpg

StrizzyChris

I have a 2014 JK unklimited with a Teraflex 2.5 lift. That was the original lift.

Usually Teraflex coils will net you more of a lift than advertised. They are a firm coil and there's not much out there that will be a 2.5" lift coil that will give you more than Teraflex.

I have a JCR front bumper and a Warn Zeon 10000 synthetic line winch, plus dual Odyssey batteries. I have maybe an inch between the bottom of my bump stop and the frame, this can't be enough right?

You will want at least a couple of inches between your jounce pads and the bump stop bed for your coils to absorb most of the road/trail compression before your Jounce pad steps in and absorbs the impact. Running a heavy front bumper/armour/winch/etc will cause your springs to run at a partially compressed level compared to stock obviously.

What are my options? I was looking at the front OME coils, will that solve my problem, but will my jeep sit higher in the front?

Anything you do to raise your frame away from the axle(create jounce pad clearnace) will in turn cause your Jeep to sit higher in the front.

At full compression, do your coils go solid? If so, then the coil may be fatigued and replacing them with a new set of coils will be needed. If not, and they are just slightly sagging due to the weight of your jeep, your cheepest option(and by far the easiest) will to place a coil spacer above your front coils. They are dirt cheep, and you can usually find a set of used ones around.

Mix and matching of lift components such as coils, shocks, bump extensions, etc. is just fine....as long as they are done right! You need to make sure that your shock does not bottom out at full compression, that your jounce pad is not too tall to restrict your axle cycle but not to short to allow you coils to go solid and shocks to bottom out.

As you can see, every vehicle(based on mods) are different and there's no simple answer to your question. BUT if your not rock crawling and compressing your coils, then the easy and simple answer is a coil spacer.

maxcustody

Usually Teraflex coils will net you more of a lift than advertised. They are a firm coil and there's not much out there that will be a 2.5" lift coil that will give you more than Teraflex.

You will want at least a couple of inches between your jounce pads and the bump stop bed for your coils to absorb most of the road/trail compression before your Jounce pad steps in and absorbs the impact. Running a heavy front bumper/armour/winch/etc will cause your springs to run at a partially compressed level compared to stock obviously.

Anything you do to raise your frame away from the axle(create jounce pad clearnace) will in turn cause your Jeep to sit higher in the front.

At full compression, do your coils go solid? If so, then the coil may be fatigued and replacing them with a new set of coils will be needed. If not, and they are just slightly sagging due to the weight of your jeep, your cheepest option(and by far the easiest) will to place a coil spacer above your front coils. They are dirt cheep, and you can usually find a set of used ones around.

Mix and matching of lift components such as coils, shocks, bump extensions, etc. is just fine....as long as they are done right! You need to make sure that your shock does not bottom out at full compression, that your jounce pad is not too tall to restrict your axle cycle but not to short to allow you coils to go solid and shocks to bottom out.

As you can see, every vehicle(based on mods) are different and there's no simple answer to your question. BUT if your not rock crawling and compressing your coils, then the easy and simple answer is a coil spacer.

WOW, thanks! That is a lot of info to consider...............I have a lot to learn. I put the front coils on about 18 months ago, so unsure if they would be fatigued? I think probably sagging or compressing due to the weight on the front.

Last edited:
Top Bottom