2.5" OME install - help needed

I'm installing the 2.5" OME on my 2015 JKU and ran into a problem with the JKs adjustable rear sway bar links. I sized the links per instructions, installed on the outside and now the top is rubbing hard on the tires now. In one way it makes sense as the axle is farther from the frame, keeping the sway bar relatively parallel to the ground, the ends will sit higher relative to the tires. That said, I sure wasn't expecting that. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446938460.914800.jpg

aaronstephen

What backspacing on your wheels do you have? You may need sway bar drop brackets if you don't have enough backspace on your wheels.

Petzl88

2.5" OME install - help needed

Is it only touching on the drivers side? Does the passenger side clear the link or is the tire rubbing there too? What wheels and backspacing do you have? I see the lower track bar bolt is out and you've removed the track bar to install the axle side raised track bar bracket.

You need to install the raised track bar bracket to center the axle. You will need a ratchet strap to move the axle over. It's really easy. You should do it with the tires installed and the vehicle on the ground.

Install the track bar bracket and move the axle to the drivers side, install the track bar and see if it clears (I'm assuming it's only touching on the drivers side.)

We just need some more information on your wheel backspacing. If they are stock, you may need wheel spacers.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies. The links rub on both sides, so i don't see the track bar playing a role right now. The tires are stock Rubicon, but I don't know the back spacing number.

Petzl88

Ok. Sounds like you will need wheel spacers if you're going to keep the stock wheels. The Spidertrax ones are great.

hawklee

I'm no expert here but just went through this process...did those adjustable links come with your lift kit? looks like they are too long.
You mention that your tires are stock rubicons, so are they stock 17in rubicon wheels as well? If they are, or even if their not stock, if they are 17s the top of the sway link shoulnt be that high...id start by shortening the links

I thought about shortening the links but that will definitely move the sway bar week below horizontal. I've seen other links that have a much lower profile. Will keep looking.

aldaman

There are some options for you....

1) Install the links on the inside rather than the outside, but watch for the brake line clearance (the one on the frame). At full flex / stuff the links may make contact.

2) Those links can be made to cut down to size. Cut it so that the sway bars are still sitting parallel but the links are short enough that it doesn't rub at the top part of the sidewall of the tire.

aldaman

Also like what others mentioned you will need to run wheel spacers with the stock rims. The BS on it is 6.25" most lift kits require running rims with a minimum of 4.5" of BS for proper clearance....

Heavyhaul07

Just remove your rear sway bar. I run a front but no rear. Handles just fine. I'm running RE 3.5 springs and fox 2.0 and adjustable lca's.

Top Bottom