Coolant temp reading low after oil change?

98chilipepperxj

Hello jeepers, I need some assistance. I have a 98 xj 4.0 that I just changed the oil in. After doing so, the coolant temp gauge reads approx. 150-155, and that's as high as she will read. Normal op temp is around 180 with the aftermarket thermostat I have.
I have no negative symptoms as far as operations go. Heater still blows hot. So maybe just the gauge is bad or would it be the thermostat is stuck open?
Thanks!

Skid_Kid

Hello jeepers, I need some assistance. I have a 98 xj 4.0 that I just changed the oil in. After doing so, the coolant temp gauge reads approx. 150-155, and that's as high as she will read. Normal op temp is around 180 with the aftermarket thermostat I have.
I have no negative symptoms as far as operations go. Heater still blows hot. So maybe just the gauge is bad or would it be the thermostat is stuck open?
Thanks!

Has it been a while since the oil was changed? Are you using a different oil? Did the oil you drained look milky? Does you coolant the right level and the right color?

98chilipepperxj

I did a full coolant flush (with the same type of coolant i always use) last month when I did my last oil change. I've kept a good eye on my coolant level. It's been fine. I change my oil every 3k with Castrol GTX high mileage. And yes it's every month I drive alot for work.. my oil looked normal.

Skid_Kid

I did a full coolant flush (with the same type of coolant i always use) last month when I did my last oil change. I've kept a good eye on my coolant level. It's been fine. I change my oil every 3k with Castrol GTX high mileage. And yes it's every month I drive alot for work.. my oil looked normal.

Heater is working fine? Would not hurt to check the thermostat, but other then that it sound like your good to go.

WJCO

Meme King
Could be a bad ECT sensor, but strange that it would occur after your flush. Everything pointing to tstat. Burp the air out of the system if you didn't already, although air in system would normally cause a hotter eng temp rather than cooler.

98chilipepperxj

I burped it good when I did the flush. And I know it happened after the oil change.. I have add when it comes to my gauges.. constantly watching them. I think it's from the overheating problems I used to have.

WJCO

Meme King
You could shine a laser temp gun on each side of the tstat after engine warms up to see how it's working. I would also check the temp in various places to see what it is compared to your gauge. If the coolant temp truly is 155, that's too low. Gonna interfere with heater operation and fuel injection system and closed loop status.

Top Bottom