Need some opinions...

Rocfrog

This has probably been covered a million times but I can't seem to find a dedicated thread.

Long story short I was in a 4 car pile up a while back and finally got the insurance check for the repairs and want to get aftermarket front and rear bumpers. I am looking for pics and opinions on what you guys like and dislike. Basic want/needs are front must have a spot for a winch and factory fogs (or maybe light tabs that can mount pods to be wired to factory fog plugs) and the rear should have a class three receiver and possibly a tire carrier or provisions to add one at a later date ( not needed but would be nice).

Here's what I'm working with

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447044062.879744.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447044621.192932.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447044634.152561.jpg

Nick

Shantz

I have the Rampage Full Width Front... love it... saving for the Expedition One Rear. Completely personal preference. Some are better than others... I'm sure the choir will chime in.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I searched for a long time for a front bumper that met the criteria I wanted. I wanted something stubby to mid width, sunken to partially sunken winch mount, but still retained the factory fog lights. I use them literally every day, as it is always rainy and/or foggy here. I ended up going with the Full Metal Fabworks Apex Pinnacle front bumper. No regrets. Great quality and made in the US.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447075532.493827.jpg

Sorry, best photo I have in my phone right now. For the rear, I went with the EVO rear bumper fascia with EVO D Rings. I love the look, it's stout, it's way cheaper than a full rear bumper, and you can retain your factory hitch.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447075144.568693.jpg

Other options that would retain the factory fogs that you may want to look into include Rock Hard, Warn, MORE Offroad, Expedition one, Poison Spyder, JCR, Crawler Conceptz, and LOD.

As far as what I like and recommend, I prefer to buy good quality, American made products if you can afford it. I prefer to buy once and know my equipment was built with good materials and good quality control. These days, if you stick with a good American made manufacturer you really can't go wrong. Had I not chosen the FMF front bumper, I would have went EVO, LOD or possibly Poison Spyder as personal choices. Good luck with your search and I hope some of this helps!

Last edited:

Rocfrog

So far all good opinions, thanks guys. I do have a budget just don't remember off the top of my head what the total was I know it wasn't much for a front and a rear. I originally wanted AEV but the combo was just at the budget price without the rear tire carrier.

The winch being fully or partially in the front bumper is a GREAT idea, I forgot to add that to my list of requirements.

Is there any bumpers or manufacturers that I should stay away from? We fully use this jeep it is on the trails on a regular basis so I want something that is stout and will take a beating when needed.....

Nick

07streetbobrider

I like my Smittybuilt front and rear bumpers. I have the lights wired to my factory fog light switch. The rear covers up the last letter on license plate though. Will probably relocate license to the spare. 101_0876.jpg 007.jpg

NastyNate

I searched for a long time for a front bumper that met the criteria I wanted. I wanted something stubby to mid width, sunken to partially sunken winch mount, but still retained the factory fog lights. I use them literally every day, as it is always rainy and/or foggy here. I ended up going with the Full Metal Fabworks Apex Pinnacle front bumper. No regrets. Great quality and made in the US.
View attachment 172966

I really dig the full metal fab works front alot! i have been looking at that one also.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I guess there are two main ways to go in the front, Stubby bumpers and full width bumpers. In my neck of the woods, rock crawling is not very common so Stubbies are more of a personal choice than actual utility. I personally love my Warn bumper, in terms of the rear, I'm running a Rubicon Hard Rock bumper

Havoc40

I did the same exact thing after I guy pulled out in front of me last winter. Ended up needing both front/rear bumpers. IIRC my insurance gave me a check around $860 for the stock bumpers, so that didn't help a whole lot in terms of quality aftermarket bumpers.

FWIW I bought a PSC brawler lite front bumper, and LoD Gen4 shorty rear. No problems with either.

Ddays

Hooked
x3 on the Full Metal Fabworks bumper. Check out the welds in the second photo. Haven't decided on the rear yet. Have a PS Brawler now but I might just go without and get the EVO rear fascia.

Gruff.jpg

FMF.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
x3 on the Full Metal Fabworks bumper. Check out the welds in the second photo. Haven't decided on the rear yet. Have a PS Brawler now but I might just go without and get the EVO rear fascia.

View attachment 173264

View attachment 173265

It's a work of art for sure. If you want to see what the FMF front bumper with EVO sliders and Rear bumper fascia setup looks like, check out my build thread. That's the setup I've been running for a while. Couldn't be happier.

Ddays

Hooked
It's a work of art for sure. If you want to see what the FMF front bumper with EVO sliders and Rear bumper fascia setup looks like, check out my build thread. That's the setup I've been running for a while. Couldn't be happier.

Now that I think about it, I believe your build thread is where I saw this bumper in the first place, so thanks! The further I go along with this project the more I'm liking the minimalist approach, like no rear bumper, stubby front bumper, and the short flares. I just may dig my factory flares out & cut them way back. Metalcloak makes some really nice short fenders as well.
I gotta stop and be satisfied at some point though....

Top Bottom