Shocks, shocks, shocks.

flectarn

Let me start by saying I am very new to this, and I may not explain my question in the correct terms I need to; so bare with me.

I have a Rock Krawler 2.5 lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks. I want to gain another inch with a 3.5 lift and it seems that I may need to replace my shocks with it to adjust for the height increase.

I spoke with an RK rep today and he recommended I stay away from the fox series of shocks as they are too soft in combination with their triple rate coils and bottom out. He recommended a bilstein 5100 series shock as it is a more firm shock. Is this truly an issue? It seems that a lot of people run this combination of suspension and don't have any issues. I am also reluctant to give up my awesome street ride for the 5100 series shock which seems to ride way too firm for a lot of people.

Also, would I be any better with the Evo coils with said Fox shocks?

Thanks!

I am sure I will have more questions arise as the thread goes on.

Petzl88

I can't answer your questions about the Fox shocks but I have the Rancho 9000 shocks and I love them. You can dial them in to where they need to be.

noroad

Evo coils are soft, I didn't like them as I am a fast driver and wasn't feeling them in the high speed turns. But that was with a soft set of ranchos. so if you want a soft ride I would get the evo coils but maybe a firmer shock. As for the Fox 2.0s, I have them and like them, although I did just blow a shock after 50k on it.

Ddays

Hooked
I have a RK 3.5" X factor lift with the Fox 2.0 adjustable shocks and I really like them. I have a couple hundred miles on this setup, and so far I don't have anything negative to say about them. The highway ride is very good. I have them set on '3' and want to try them at a firmer setting. I need to get off-road with this thing to see how well I like them there...

flectarn

I have a RK 3.5" X factor lift with the Fox 2.0 adjustable shocks and I really like them. I have a couple hundred miles on this setup, and so far I don't have anything negative to say about them. The highway ride is very good. I have them set on '3' and want to try them at a firmer setting. I need to get off-road with this thing to see how well I like them there...

I agree , it seems that this combo gives a really appealing street ride. I did just do a small trip in the desert this past weekend and everything seemed pretty good, but I am inexperienced for the most part and the RK rep suggested I will run into issues with over-travel and bottoming out it seems.

Hot94Z28

I hated my 5100's with my RK springs, I now have the Rancho 9000's and enjoy the ride more. I will say it seems the RK springs are a bit on the stiff side.

Ddays

Hooked
I hated my 5100's with my RK springs, I now have the Rancho 9000's and enjoy the ride more. I will say it seems the RK springs are a bit on the stiff side.

I have heard that quite a bit. My only reference is the RE 3.5" springs I replaced, which gave me a ride resembling a Kenworth. It was way too jouncey for me. Maybe different shocks would have helped, IDK. So as of now I'm happy with this combo. I'd like to go for a ride in a Jeep with the Enforcer springs someday for comparison.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Evo coils are soft, I didn't like them as I am a fast driver and wasn't feeling them in the high speed turns. But that was with a soft set of ranchos. so if you want a soft ride I would get the evo coils but maybe a firmer shock. As for the Fox 2.0s, I have them and like them, although I did just blow a shock after 50k on it.

I too used to run the Fox 2.0s. I blew a rear shock at about 2000 miles. Not pushing it at all either. It has what has kept me from getting more Fox shocks. I wonder what's going on there?

To the OP, I'm running the Rancho 5000x shocks right now and find then to be softer than the Fox. If your looking to dial in your ride with your current springs, you may want to look into an adjustable shock. This may allow you to set the shock ride quality to where you need it for whatever spring you decide to go with. Good luck and keep us posted.

Petzl88

Coils

Noroad, what coils did you end up liking? I have the EVO 2" Plush ride coils in the front with stock coils in the rear with a 2" spacer. The EVO coils are super nice and plush, but I have too much body roll when driving at highway speeds. I'm put on some Rancho 9000 shocks and have them dialed in all the way and it has helped a lot. It is a lot better to drive now, but I am thinking about trying out some other coils as well.

noroad

Noroad, what coils did you end up liking? I have the EVO 2" Plush ride coils in the front with stock coils in the rear with a 2" spacer. The EVO coils are super nice and plush, but I have too much body roll when driving at highway speeds. I'm put on some Rancho 9000 shocks and have them dialed in all the way and it has helped a lot. It is a lot better to drive now, but I am thinking about trying out some other coils as well.

I have RE which are stiff, I like them one the road with rear coilovers(in a 2dr). I am looking to switch to metal cloak and old man shocks in the front tho. I have seen the amount of drop they get in person and it is a lot. plus from what I hear that combo is right for my driving (fast turns). so that will happen probably over the winter.

Top Bottom