JKU Rattle diagnosis

Hoyt Ag

2008 JKU

I have a rattle that I cannot seem to locate. It sounds like it is within the plastic seatbelt "housing" between driver door and rear door. Every time I hit a bump, it rattles. I have taken the housing apart, everything seems to be tight, but it continues to get worse. It sounds like it is located between the shoulder to lower back, but nothing seems out of place or loose. It could be within the rear door, but the locking mechanisms and windows are in working order.

I know this is very vague, but any help is appreciated.

WJCO

Meme King
2008 JKU

I have a rattle that I cannot seem to locate. It sounds like it is within the plastic seatbelt "housing" between driver door and rear door. Every time I hit a bump, it rattles. I have taken the housing apart, everything seems to be tight, but it continues to get worse. It sounds like it is located between the shoulder to lower back, but nothing seems out of place or loose. It could be within the rear door, but the locking mechanisms and windows are in working order.

Were any of the trim clips broken? This can cause a rattle.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you have a hard top, remove the driver side front and check the bolt that holds the rear section. this bolt is directly above the pillar and kept working loose on mine. I used some teflon tape on the threads to keep it in place.
also check your muffler heat shield, if a tack weld broke on that it will allow the heat shield to rattle and the sound travels up the pillar

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
if you have a hard top, remove the driver side front and check the bolt that holds the rear section. this bolt is directly above the pillar and kept working loose on mine.

This. I searched for a rattle for a week while we were on vacation. I got home on a Friday and pulled the top off on Saturday and the damn bolt and loosened up enough to let the top make a rattle noise. It drove me crazy for a week. Never forget that again!

Hoyt Ag

if you have a hard top, remove the driver side front and check the bolt that holds the rear section. this bolt is directly above the pillar and kept working loose on mine. I used some teflon tape on the threads to keep it in place.
also check your muffler heat shield, if a tack weld broke on that it will allow the heat shield to rattle and the sound travels up the pillar

Bolt is tight. It is coming from lower than that, between the seatbelt adjuster at shoulder level and lower back.

Good suggestion though.

Last edited:

Lance628

2008 JKU

I had a similar issue and I pulled the door panel and a little bolt fell on the floor it held the bottom of the window track in place the window always worked fine I put the bolt back in rattle stopped

SJ21XDC

Try wrapping the door striker with some electrical tape. I had this issue with mine when new and took it back to the dealer several times. They adjusted the striker and it would go away for a few months, but kept coming back. I wrapped the striker with electrical tape and it hasn't come back since. Hope this helps, I know it drove me crazy!

Top Bottom