MORryde hinges and tailgate reinforcement

kyle521

Has anyone on this forum run their hinges? I bought a set as replacements for stock and they seem very sturdy and are re greasable. No more rattling tailgate.

They recently came out with their new tailgate re-enforcement and it was at Sema this year. Haven't heard of any real world experience with this yet.
What do you guys think?

This picture is from their website
morryde tailgate.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Mopar now makes a cast aluminum tailgate reinforcement carrier that replaces the stock hinges, it's rated for 37"

MA2_All_2014_77072345_T000.jpg

Last edited:

Flynlo

I just ordered the reinforcement kit from retrofitoffroad.com

It's on sale right now. $429.99 for the kit. (Hinges, Reinforcement & HD Carrier) with free shipping.

It's lightweight, UPS says its 54.5lbs and cost effective. I was considering the Crawler Conceptz carrier but ultimately settled on the Moryde/Retrofit kit. After power coating the Crawler carrier would have cost about $250 more. Since I'm running a 91lb spare, the carrier is meant as an extra insurance to prevent damage to the tailgate due to warping or flexing so, removing the weight entirely from the tailgate isn't necessary to me. With that it was difficult to justify spending nearly $700 just for piece of mind.

I appreciate that this system was designed by a guy in his garage who had the same "I can build that" mentality, so he built it and got it into production. I'm not sure on the details but Barricade sells the exact same hinges that he designed so I'm guessing he sold them the patent so they can produce them and put their name on it. I'm big into "American Made", but more so into supporting small businesses and garage engineers with big ideas.

dwvninety

I just ordered the reinforcement kit from retrofitoffroad.com

It's on sale right now. $429.99 for the kit. (Hinges, Reinforcement & HD Carrier) with free shipping.

It's lightweight, UPS says its 54.5lbs and cost effective. I was considering the Crawler Conceptz carrier but ultimately settled on the Moryde/Retrofit kit. After power coating the Crawler carrier would have cost about $250 more. Since I'm running a 91lb spare, the carrier is meant as an extra insurance to prevent damage to the tailgate due to warping or flexing so, removing the weight entirely from the tailgate isn't necessary to me. With that it was difficult to justify spending nearly $700 just for piece of mind.

I appreciate that this system was designed by a guy in his garage who had the same "I can build that" mentality, so he built it and got it into production. I'm not sure on the details but Barricade sells the exact same hinges that he designed so I'm guessing he sold them the patent so they can produce them and put their name on it. I'm big into "American Made", but more so into supporting small businesses and garage engineers with big ideas.

That's why I ended up with the EVO Tire Carrier http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-TC American made, plus I don't have to worry about a 37" tire shattering my rear window on the hard top in case I hit a rock ledge/shelf.

Flynlo

I'm in and out of the back of my 2 door a lot so a single motion to open the tailgate was the primary requirement. The EVO carrier is awesome but obviously a completely different animal. The quality seems to be good and every now and then you've got to take a little risk to try a new product, can't always rely on others to try something for you before making a decision.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
i know! I think it's based on or is the TF hinge, just trying to compare apples to apples on what the OP posted

and it's under the Mopar Performance line :thumb: (sarcasm)

It is the Teraflex hinge, mopar also uses them to build the mopar lift kits.

It's the same junk. Why does mopar use Teraflex? Profits...

kyle521

Im not to worried about looks, you wont see it anyways with the spare on. It looks like it will add some nice support to where the tire is mounted, more so than the teraflex or rugged ridge. I will probably wait a few months to hear from more people who bough it, but it does seem like a nice cheap alternative at around $170

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy::cheesy: I hope you aren't serious.

:cheesy: About what I was thinking :crazyeyes:

This ^^^

It really is a shame too. Jeep used to take pride in rebranding products that were actually good and made in the USA but now, they'll throw their name on any Chinese POS and sell it for MORE because they know full well there's a sucker born everyday.

BTW, I like how it's now only rated to carry a 37" tire.

trailraider

:cheesy: About what I was thinking :crazyeyes:

This ^^^

It really is a shame too. Jeep used to take pride in rebranding products that were actually good and made in the USA but now, they'll throw their name on any Chinese POS and sell it for MORE because they know full well there's a sucker born everyday.

I think they saw the error of their ways. they dropped TF this year.

jscherb

Maybe this is why they downrated it to 37's... at SEMA last week I was talking to a Jeep parts distributor and he told me that he's seen a number of Teraflex carriers with large spares where the tailgate was damaged, he said it's because the Teraflex only supports the spare on the passenger side - the reinforcement ends at the passenger side of the spare carrier. So a heavy spare can still stress the tailgate because it's motion will pull on the spot welds on the driver's side of the tailgate. I personally haven't seen this so I can't verify his story, but he seemed pretty sure of himself.

jscherb

And speaking of SEMA...

MORryde had a pretty good size booth there, they were showing their growing line of American made Jeep accessories, including the HD JK hinges/tailgate reinforcement...

MORrydeBooth1_zpsxfjuiwdu.jpg

JKTailgate1_zps8ucezag0.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
And speaking of SEMA...

MORryde had a pretty good size booth there, they were showing their growing line of American made Jeep accessories, including the HD JK hinges/tailgate reinforcement...

Welcome to WAL!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

This isn't true any more. The new 2" & 4" mopar lift kits were designed in house. They aren't rebadges like before.

The hinge, ya you are right

Top Bottom