Minimum JK lift allowed to be still covered under factory warranty

WJCO

Meme King
Does anyone know where I can read about this?

Never heard of this before. Dealers can and will try anything to void warranty based on aftermarket modifications. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, sometimes the politics of that will prevail and the dealer will work with you. Case by case basis for each repair in my experience though.

Now as far as extended warranties, a lot more of them are offering a provision in the contract that you can buy when you buy the contract that will allow you to have a lift kit up to a certain amount of inches, but you usually have to pay for this up front when you buy the contract.

Skid_Kid

Does anyone know where I can read about this?

It matters what breaks to be honest. Yes some of us have had warranty issues in the past. But if you have an alternator go out, it has nothing to do with your lift. Here is a good rule of thumb, if the aftermarket parts cause something to fail (probably not going to be covered my a warranty).

WJCO

Meme King
When I bought my jeep they said with up to a 4" lift I would be fine

I hope they hold to that. When I previously worked at a dealer, we had customers regularly say that when they had purchased a modified vehicle, their sales person said it would be covered.....didn't always work out so well when they had repair issues. I truly hope your dealer stands behind what they told you though.

Scrambler

So a dealership is going to honor any warranty claim as long as your lift is under 4", even if said lift caused the problem in the first place? Where is the dealership, so that I can sucker them into selling me a Jeep? Lol

trailraider

So a dealership is going to honor any warranty claim as long as your lift is under 4", even if said lift caused the problem in the first place? Where is the dealership, so that I can sucker them into selling me a Jeep? Lol

Have the dealer install this part# 77072353

4" lift kit the is covered under your basic warranty 3yr 60,000km

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Short answer: None.

The amount of constant disinformation on this topic is mind-boggling. If the part wasn't on your vehicle when your vehicle left the factor floor, and the part causes some other OEM part of your vehicle to fail, Chrysler can refuse warranty coverage for the OEM part. It is as simple as that, and it doesn't matter if you purchased a Mopar performance part from your dealership and had your dealership install the part.

Example: you have no lift but put 33" tires on and your gears shread one year later. Guess what, it doesn't take much to argue that added stress from turning bigger tires broke the gears.

Per the Mag. Moss Warranty Act, the issuer of the warranty (Chrysler) has the burden to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure to the OEM part. If they can, then that is the end of the hunt. If they can't, then you get your OEM part fixed under warranty. That is the law, plain and simple. But, you must have the time and resources to be able to force Chrysler to meet their burden of proof. For most people, that is just not happening.

Scrambler

Have the dealer install this part# 77072353

4" lift kit the is covered under your basic warranty 3yr 60,000km

I highly doubt, nor do I think, Jeep would/should be responsible for honoring a warranty claim that was caused by me changing suspension components.

Edit: What Sharkey said.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'll eat a small bit of crow here because it looks like the Mopar regular part warranty has slightly changed, and in some circumstances the new vehicle basic 3-year warranty may still be ok with certain Mopar parts installed by authorized FCA US LLC dealers.

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.10.31 AM.png

However, if it is a "Mopar Performance Part", you are still screwed.

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.14.58 AM.png

trailraider

I'll eat a small bit of crow here because it looks like the Mopar regular part warranty has slightly changed, and in some circumstances the new vehicle basic 3-year warranty may still be ok with certain Mopar parts installed by authorized FCA US LLC dealers.

View attachment 173451

However, if it is a "Mopar Performance Part", you are still screwed.

View attachment 173452

the mopar 4" lift if installed at the time of purchase is covered under the basic warranty.

edit. spelling. sorry

the part #'s starting with 77**** are a mopar part and covered as such, they are not classified as a performance part # like the ones starting with P's.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
the mopar 4" lift if installed at the time of purchase is covered under the basic warranty.

edit. spelling. sorry

the part #'s starting with 77**** are a mopar part and covered as such, they are not classified as a performance part # like the ones starting with P's.

Are the bigger tires?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had my 2 door JK in for warranty work at least 4 or 5 times. Each time, I never had an issue. Even though it was lifted they covered a pinion seal leak, driveshaft, etc. it could have been easily argued that the lift caused these issues, but not a peep from them. My current 4 door suffered an axle shaft failure. Even though it is lifted and has larger tires, the dealership didn't bat an eye. They covered it under warranty with no issues. This was a different dealership than the 2 door was taken to. What I Was told from both dealerships was that if I replaced the part, that part is no longer covered under warranty. Since I was still running factory, untouched axles, they were covered. This is just my experiences with 2 different dealerships. Experiences may vary.

trailraider

Are the bigger tires?

well i'm sure thers a loop hole there. tires a technically not covered by Chrysler , its up to the manufacture to decide. usually no coverage. buy issues related to larger tires, ie bearings etc, they may not cover. grey area i guess.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There is no question that different dealerships have a different level of friendliness to modifications. That is why it is great to get to know your local service manager. What they choose to do, and what they can do if they want, are two different things.

As for the Mopar 4" kit. Looking beyond the fact it is rebranded junk (unless something has changed), it looks like all of the individual parts in the kit have the "P" designation. The kit itself is part of the performance catalog. Until I see proof to the contrary, I'm not convinced that Chrysler must treat it like OEM stuff in the event of failure.

Krystianjk

I had my 2 door JK in for warranty work at least 4 or 5 times. Each time, I never had an issue. Even though it was lifted they covered a pinion seal leak, driveshaft, etc. it could have been easily argued that the lift caused these issues, but not a peep from them. My current 4 door suffered an axle shaft failure. Even though it is lifted and has larger tires, the dealership didn't bat an eye. They covered it under warranty with no issues. This was a different dealership than the 2 door was taken to. What I Was told from both dealerships was that if I replaced the part, that part is no longer covered under warranty. Since I was still running factory, untouched axles, they were covered. This is just my experiences with 2 different dealerships. Experiences may vary.

Wow must be nice to have such dealerships in your area ☹

Heholua

I'm at my local dealership right now getting an oil change. My steering has never been right been right since I purchased my 2015 Rubicon. I asked them to do the alignment under warranty and they told me my alignment warranty was voided when I put on a 2" spacer lift and 35" tires. Needless to say, I told him I disagreed and I will be doing it myself at home.

Last edited:

DMF

I drove off the lot with a Mopar, dealer installed lift. My first time taking it out my rear swaybar end links pulled down my brake lines. I took it in to get warranty work the dealer told me to go kick rocks.

Skid_Kid

I drove off the lot with a Mopar, dealer installed lift. My first time taking it out my rear swaybar end links pulled down my brake lines. I took it in to get warranty work the dealer told me to go kick rocks.

That should have not happened..... I would have called the GM of that dealer.

Top Bottom