Aftermarket Driveshafts

Dllamas

Can anybody school me on after market driveshafts. I have a 4 inch lift with 36x13.00x18 Toyo m/t with 4.88 Yukon gears. Do I need one? Would I notice more torque compared to a stock. What are the benefits?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Benefit is that your drive shaft won't prematurely fail in you.

No, it won't increase your torque. :crazyeyes:

You'll need front lower control arms to set your caster and pinion angle.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yes I got it aligned at 4 wheel parts and they adjusted them with the proper caster

You'll have to do it again when you get a new drive shaft. Double cardan drive shafts need to be set more evenly to prevent drive line vibrataions. They don't have the rubber boot like your stock drive shaft does. With your 4" of lift your boot is in a constant state of pinch, which will cause it to tear, leak grease and ultimalty fail.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Can anybody school me on after market driveshafts. I have a 4 inch lift with 36x13.00x18 Toyo m/t with 4.88 Yukon gears. Do I need one? Would I notice more torque compared to a stock. What are the benefits?

do you have a 2 door or 4 door? if the latter you will only need a new front drive shaft with that much lift. if you have a 2 door you will need both front and rear due to the angle of the DS on a 2 door.

edit- here is some extra info from the noobie thread
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?
A: For a 4" lift, you should have a set of 4" coils, bump stop extensions, longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links, adjustable front track bar, adjustable rear track bar, front and rear track bar relocation brackets, dropped pitman arm, adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear and new double cardin u-joint style drive shafts.

On a 2012-Up, you will want to install a new front drive shaft regardless if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Assuming you install new, longer shocks with your lift, the extra droop you will see at a flex will cause the slip shaft boot on the drive shaft to tear. However, that is just one problem you will encounter. Even if you install exhaust spacers or relocate the cross over, the CV boot at the output shaft will be sitting at a significant state of pinch and this will cause it to fail prematurely.

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.

NOTE: On a 2012-Up, you will want to install a new front drive shaft regardless if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Assuming you install new, longer shocks with your lift, the extra droop you will see at a flex will cause the slip shaft boot on the drive shaft to tear. However, that is just one problem you will encounter. Even if you install exhaust spacers or relocate the cross over, the CV boot at the output shaft will be sitting at a significant state of pinch and this will cause it to fail prematurely.

Last edited:

Dllamas

I have a 4 door my front driveshaft already failed and was replaced under warranty but of course they put the OEM

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 4 door my front driveshaft already failed and was replaced under warranty but of course they put the OEM

do you have a 2 door or 4 door? if the latter you will only need a new front drive shaft with that much lift. if you have a 2 door you will need both front and rear due to the angle of the DS on a 2 door.

edit- here is some extra info from the noobie thread
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Q: What are all the components that I will need with a 4" lift?
A: For a 4" lift, you should have a set of 4" coils, bump stop extensions, longer shocks, extended brake lines, longer sway bar links, adjustable front track bar, adjustable rear track bar, front and rear track bar relocation brackets, dropped pitman arm, adjustable upper and lower control arms front and rear and new double cardin u-joint style drive shafts.

On a 2012-Up, you will want to install a new front drive shaft regardless if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Assuming you install new, longer shocks with your lift, the extra droop you will see at a flex will cause the slip shaft boot on the drive shaft to tear. However, that is just one problem you will encounter. Even if you install exhaust spacers or relocate the cross over, the CV boot at the output shaft will be sitting at a significant state of pinch and this will cause it to fail prematurely.

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.

NOTE: On a 2012-Up, you will want to install a new front drive shaft regardless if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Assuming you install new, longer shocks with your lift, the extra droop you will see at a flex will cause the slip shaft boot on the drive shaft to tear. However, that is just one problem you will encounter. Even if you install exhaust spacers or relocate the cross over, the CV boot at the output shaft will be sitting at a significant state of pinch and this will cause it to fail prematurely.

I edited and added to my post for you.

Dllamas don't mean to hijack but
What are some drive shafts you guys would recommend like what brands what size I know they have 1310 or 1350, etc. thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Dllamas don't mean to hijack but
What are some drive shafts you guys would recommend like what brands what size I know they have 1310 or 1350, etc. thanks!

Adams, je reed, or coast. Adams says you can do a 1310 with solid u joints up to a 37". Over that you should deff do a 1350. If your running a higher horsepower motor deff a 1350 or larger

Top Bottom