Rally car?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Did a safety inspection on this Subaru the other day at work... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447506391.611013.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447506404.621039.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447506418.459097.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447506430.458884.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447506441.858725.jpg ...failed it for a bunch of cracks in the windshield, the owner says "that's a good thing since I have to remove it to install my roll cage anyway. [emoji53]

boardsurfer

That sounds fun. I've always wanted a beater car, torn down to the essentials and driven for auto-cross or rally-cross or whatever. Subaru seems like the default place to start. :)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
That sounds fun. I've always wanted a beater car, torn down to the essentials and driven for auto-cross or rally-cross or whatever. Subaru seems like the default place to start. :)
Well I'm not one to criticize people for what they're interested in when it comes to cars. Hell, not everyone may agree with us Jeepers sticking so much money into our rigs, but its our thing. My post was to express the hilarity of this Subaru coming into the shop. We live in East-central Missouri. Auto-cross/rally events are nowhere to be found in this area. It was just hilarious to see someone go this far and waste so much money on an early '90s Legacy. It was just an model to use as a rally car platform. No suspension, engine, or brake modifications at all. Just a seat, removable steering wheel, and some off-road lights, all for looks really. Not making fun of the owner by any means, but a WRX STI or Evo would be a little more impressive to have modded. I do understand the significant cost difference of course.

WJCO

Meme King
To each his own, right? My first car was a 1987 Subaru GL 4x4 hatchback. I beat the crap out of that thing. Had 13 inch wheels, lol. Rebuilt the motor after all my abuse. No wear on cylinder walls or anything. Just needed valve seals really, everything else was in spec. Great motors. Ended up adding a turbo and 4-barrel Holley on it and put it on a sandrail. Good memories.

I actually work with a couple of guys that (independent of each other) are involved in the midwest rally car scene. One of which builds his own car on nights and weekends and races it. He's a little further along than that though :D

BlackHawk08jk

Well I'm not one to criticize people for what they're interested in when it comes to cars. Hell, not everyone may agree with us Jeepers sticking so much money into our rigs, but its our thing. My post was to express the hilarity of this Subaru coming into the shop. We live in East-central Missouri. Auto-cross/rally events are nowhere to be found in this area. It was just hilarious to see someone go this far and waste so much money on an early '90s Legacy. It was just an model to use as a rally car platform. No suspension, engine, or brake modifications at all. Just a seat, removable steering wheel, and some off-road lights, all for looks really. Not making fun of the owner by any means, but a WRX STI or Evo would be a little more impressive to have modded. I do understand the significant cost difference of course.

Haha that awesome!

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I actually work with a couple of guys that (independent of each other) are involved in the midwest rally car scene. One of which builds his own car on nights and weekends and races it. He's a little further along than that though :D

Yeah, one decent jump with this thing and it'd be the end of it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
To each his own, right? My first car was a 1987 Subaru GL 4x4 hatchback. I beat the crap out of that thing. Had 13 inch wheels, lol. Rebuilt the motor after all my abuse. No wear on cylinder walls or anything. Just needed valve seals really, everything else was in spec. Great motors. Ended up adding a turbo and 4-barrel Holley on it and put it on a sandrail. Good memories.

Oh Subarus are great! Not talking down on them at all. Following the OP, my point is that you can find an early generation Impreza for cheap these days and would've been a better starting point IMO

WJCO

Meme King
Oh Subarus are great! Not talking down on them at all. Following the OP, my point is that you can find an early generation Impreza for cheap these days and would've been a better starting point IMO

I was on the same page as you. Seeing that body style brought back memories. I also had an 02 WRX that I modded a ton. Love those cars. I agree, I would start a rally car with a different model.

Top Bottom