Hinge rust

1BAMF'nJKU

I just noticed that all four doors on my 2014 "white" jku sport have a fine ring of rust right around the joint of the door hinges....is this something you have noticed, normal for the hinges , or something that I should be taking it to the dealership for? Thanks

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I just noticed that all four doors on my 2014 "white" jku sport have a fine ring of rust right around the joint of the door hinges....is this something you have noticed, normal for the hinges , or something that I should be taking it to the dealership for? Thanks

How long have you had the Jeep? I just had three hinges replaced on my 14 JKU for the same reason and it was not a year old. I was told it was not rust but rather had I clayed the vehicle, it would have come off and it's because I don't clean the hinges when I wash/wax the Jeep. I call BS on that because it's white and you would think that area would stand out after we have washed a white Jeep with soap and water and left that area muddy. I've noticed this is not a hearty color compared to the red I had. Defnately my last white vehicle. If it's under warranty, get them replaced under warranty. I'm going to black out the hinges like I have seen on the other white Jeeps here.

Last edited:

1BAMF'nJKU

I bought it new in October of 2013. I hand wash the jeep and hand dry it every time it gets a bath I noticed it on one hinge before but it wiped off now it's all 4 and it's not coming off. Jeep is well maintained and hasn't been wheeled but once. It's almost like water collects within the internal pin area of hinge and Rust is spilling over and getting to the point where it is actually rusting the joint where the hinge pivots. Doors have never been removed. Thx for the response

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Your welcome. That was my experience. I'm finding I'm needing to clean up things like the keyhole on the tailgate. I don't open the tailgate a lot but I see it is trying to oxidize. I have to know go out and clean it up with a green meanie and put some WD40 on it. I never did this stuff with the TJ I had and I had that thing for 10 yrs and never had issues with rusting hinges and keyhole trying to rust. I don't think Chrysler paints white Jeeps well as my issue started a month after I had it and they were tiny spots and the dealership looked at me like I was crazy. then the problem became very visible and they still say its because the hinges were not washed as much as the rest of the Jeep. I think the metals are inferior also. I don't live near the ocean as I live inland. I'm just noticing there is more upkeep needed cosmetic wise with this particular vehicle.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think its due to the material the bushing inside is made of but not sure. I didn't notice any rust after I swapped the bushings to delrin ones

Josh27

It is actually corrosion and not rust. This is due to the door being made out of steel and the hinge is made out of aluminum. Jeep did not paint the two pieces separately, they bolted the hinge to the door and then painted it. The steel and aluminum in contact without any primer or paint between them causes this corrosion. I ended up stripping all the paint off of my hinges, then spraying them with an aluminum primer and then painted them black.

Edit: sorry I must have been sleeping when I read these posts. the rust may be from water getting in the joint and the bushing rusting like hinrichs said. I haven't had the rust on the joint like you are describing

Last edited:
Top Bottom