Is the OEM battery crappy?

Wethy

I bought my Jk in May of last year and for the past couple of weeks it seems like the battery is weak. I haven't put a tester on it to verify but sometimes in the mornings it takes a long time to start and when it does manage to it starts to stall out like a dead battery. The question is the stock battery bad and have any of you had issues with them?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sounds like you have a bad battery. I'm personally still on the stock battery on my '11

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I bought my Jk in May of last year and for the past couple of weeks it seems like the battery is weak. I haven't put a tester on it to verify but sometimes in the mornings it takes a long time to start and when it does manage to it starts to stall out like a dead battery. The question is the stock battery bad and have any of you had issues with them?

Mine lasted a little over a year as well, about 22k on the odometer. Any auto parts store should have a tester to see if it is the battery.

Wethy

Sounds like you have a bad battery. I'm personally still on the stock battery on my '11

I wondered about that that's why I asked to see if anyone else seemed to have An issue. I do live in Canada and. Urgently it's still above 0C / 32F so I don't think it's temperature or a battery CCamperage issue

Wethy

Mine lasted a little over a year as well, about 22k on the odometer. Any auto parts store should have a tester to see if it is the battery.

I'll be testing it tomorrow my father has a fancy multimeter that'll do all the things I need it for

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Only experience I have with an OEM battery is with my TJ. I got the TJ in 04 and replaced the battery in 2010. The replacement only lasted 4 years. It was an AutoZone battery which I don't have experience with.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Just had my Jun 2012 OEM battery go bye, bye this week. Overall it had a better than average lifespan after spending two years in the killer Arizona heat. Most are good, but every once in awhile... I'd get it checked out. They usually give you a warning or two and then belly up.

Wethy

thanks guys! in my old car the oem battery lasted almost ten years with no problems. honestly thought im not surprised that it may only last-2 years ha ha ohhhh welll maybe the dual battery setup is gonna happen sooner rather than later? any input on dual battery setups like genesis or what not?
and if the battery is pooched whats a good replacement? i think i remember reading the diehard platinums were good? ha ha so correct me if im wrong

Tumbleweed

I just went to a dual battery setup on my '11. The OEM battery was/is still good, but I'm looking at an onboard welder & I already have the ARB fridge.

I would verify that your battery cables are clean & tight. I recall that there were some cable clamp issues.

Wethy

I just went to a dual battery setup on my '11. The OEM battery was/is still good, but I'm looking at an onboard welder & I already have the ARB fridge.

I would verify that your battery cables are clean & tight. I recall that there were some cable clamp issues.

Good to know but they are tight I check under hood once a week when I check fluids and such. I have my CB and rigid lights wired straight to the battery but I can't imagine they're draining the bAttery while it's off as they're not on either

Wethy

just read Eddie's write up on battery changing on project jk i guess they changed batteries from 2012-up so you guys with 2011-down might have lucked out. checked the battery earlier this morning, doesnt seem to be too great at holding a charge so i guess it is on its way out for the record it has lasted me 62,000KM(38,500M) and only 1 year 6months and 14 days ha ha since i picked it up may 1st.

new question. whats the best replacement i was looking at the optima yellowtops, but have seen the diehard platinums but i couldnt find em here in canada online so what are y'alls suggestions

LasVegasJK

You stated it stalls after it starts. That would indicate an alternator issue. Once the jeep is started, the alternator takes over and supplies the power for the engine. I would have the alternator tested also.

Wethy

You stated it stalls after it starts. That would indicate an alternator issue. Once the jeep is started, the alternator takes over and supplies the power for the engine. I would have the alternator tested also.

i just reread my opening i should probably proof read my posts but i meant to say once it starts it almost stalls out. i am gonna have the alternator tested anyways but that was my bad on the confusion im still sure its the battery. as when its running the batt is reading 14.3-14.6 volts like it should.

JCDriller

Jeep just replaced mine on Wednesday, 19,500mi @ 1 year and 8 months.

Going to go with an Odyssey, trying to decide on twin 34s or a single 31.

Tree Frog

Odyssey batteries are on sale right now from their website. 20 percent off most models. I have looked around and they beat most places by at least 100 bucks. Don't know if they will ship to the Great White North though. You can always ask them in the morning.

2 years and 5 months right now. Kind of feel like I am pushing my luck.

My Nissan Frontier's battery made it almost 3 years to the day. Ran for over an hour during the day. Parked at 5:30 p.m. and at 3: a.m. Just a few clicks it was so dead.

Top Bottom