PDA

View Full Version : LED taillight burning through resistors

trailless
11-16-2015, 12:03 AM
My jeep: maxxima taillights with an ORO third brake light/license plate light.

The third brake light is connected to the passenger side wires. I'm burning through the passenger side resistor in about 2 weeks. It'll hyperflash and I'll get a warning signal.

I've narrowed it down to the third brake light for two reasons. The driver side doesn't burn through resistors. Also, the warning comes first comes on when I press on the brakes. (This lights up the third brake light)

Any ideas? It's rather annoying to have one blinker flash normally and have the other hyperflash...

JeepJeep75
11-16-2015, 12:47 AM
Maybe try to find a small chunk of aluminum to mount your resistor(s) to. Those resistors have to get rid of about 25-30 watts of heat. Doesn't sound like much but it is. A soldering iron is typically 15-25 watts. How long can you hold it once it's plugged in? Your resistors are getting just as hot. I tried some LED switchback turn signals. Ditched them because of hot stupid-hot the resistors get. I might try again, but I will mount the resistors to a heat sink so they don't fry. Good luck with your set-up.

trailless
11-16-2015, 01:03 AM
Maybe try to find a small chunk of aluminum to mount your resistor(s) to. Those resistors have to get rid of about 25-30 watts of heat. Doesn't sound like much but it is. A soldering iron is typically 15-25 watts. How long can you hold it once it's plugged in? Your resistors are getting just as hot. I tried some LED switchback turn signals. Ditched them because of hot stupid-hot the resistors get. I might try again, but I will mount the resistors to a heat sink so they don't fry. Good luck with your set-up.

I'll try it. My corner panel is aluminum so it's rather easy. BUT the main thing is that I don't have problem with the drivers side resistor...

Stegertime
11-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I've had this issue, for me it was due to the wiring getting too close to the resistor and shorting it out. Make sure nothing is touching it when you install