LED taillight burning through resistors

trailless

Caught the Bug
My jeep: maxxima taillights with an ORO third brake light/license plate light.

The third brake light is connected to the passenger side wires. I'm burning through the passenger side resistor in about 2 weeks. It'll hyperflash and I'll get a warning signal.

I've narrowed it down to the third brake light for two reasons. The driver side doesn't burn through resistors. Also, the warning comes first comes on when I press on the brakes. (This lights up the third brake light)

Any ideas? It's rather annoying to have one blinker flash normally and have the other hyperflash...

JeepJeep75

Maybe try to find a small chunk of aluminum to mount your resistor(s) to. Those resistors have to get rid of about 25-30 watts of heat. Doesn't sound like much but it is. A soldering iron is typically 15-25 watts. How long can you hold it once it's plugged in? Your resistors are getting just as hot. I tried some LED switchback turn signals. Ditched them because of hot stupid-hot the resistors get. I might try again, but I will mount the resistors to a heat sink so they don't fry. Good luck with your set-up.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Maybe try to find a small chunk of aluminum to mount your resistor(s) to. Those resistors have to get rid of about 25-30 watts of heat. Doesn't sound like much but it is. A soldering iron is typically 15-25 watts. How long can you hold it once it's plugged in? Your resistors are getting just as hot. I tried some LED switchback turn signals. Ditched them because of hot stupid-hot the resistors get. I might try again, but I will mount the resistors to a heat sink so they don't fry. Good luck with your set-up.

I'll try it. My corner panel is aluminum so it's rather easy. BUT the main thing is that I don't have problem with the drivers side resistor...

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I've had this issue, for me it was due to the wiring getting too close to the resistor and shorting it out. Make sure nothing is touching it when you install

Top Bottom