Hi-Lift Mount Locations.. Pros/Cons?

Altonymous

So I've currently got my hi-lift mounted in the rear of my Jeep just above the bumper. However, it's a 60" Hi-Lift and I forget it's there sometimes.. I've had some pretty close calls with city parking decks.. and I'm starting to think.. perhaps I should re-locate it. Aside from the rear bumper, I've noticed some get mounted:

• Front hood at the windshield mounts
  • Front hood at the hinge mounts
  • Driver side between the front fender and door
  • Along the rear roll bar.

Are there any other locations I'm missing? What are some pros/cons for each of these locations?

jeeeep

Hooked
So I've currently got my hi-lift mounted in the rear of my Jeep just above the bumper. However, it's a 60" Hi-Lift and I forget it's there sometimes.. I've had some pretty close calls with city parking decks.. and I'm starting to think.. perhaps I should re-locate it. Aside from the rear bumper, I've noticed some get mounted:

• Front hood at the windshield mounts
  • Front hood at the hinge mounts
  • Driver side between the front fender and door
  • Along the rear roll bar.

Are there any other locations I'm missing? What are some pros/cons for each of these locations?

The garage... lol, I've got a brand new replacement I bought 5 years ago in the garage. I just carry a bottle jack now.

ttfhell

Right where it's at. Hood is retarded. Good luck getting that on and off when you are on some crazy angle.

Flynlo

Right where it's at. Hood is retarded. Good luck getting that on and off when you are on some crazy angle.

Plus, I can just see the jack slipping from your hands as you put it back on your hood and creating a sweet new dent. OP, do you need all 60"? you could cut it down a little so you're running less risk in the parking bays. I keep mine at home, till I go wheeling which (for now) it gets strapped down in the back.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Guess I'm a retard then cause mine is on the hood. I don't have problems getting the jack off of the hood, the 30 lbs it weighs is nothing. I like the looks of it on the hood. One downfall is that it is always in the weather so carry a can of wd-40 or the like. I currently still carry the factory jack though I plan on getting a bottle jack also.

WJCO

Meme King
Guess I'm a retard then cause mine is on the hood. I don't have problems getting the jack off of the hood, the 30 lbs it weighs is nothing. I like the looks of it on the hood. One downfall is that it is always in the weather so carry a can of wd-40 or the like. I currently still carry the factory jack though I plan on getting a bottle jack also.

Lol....... :D

Flynlo

Isn't it a PITA to have to reach over the hood just to unhook it from the mounts though? Do you have to unlatch it from both sides of the Jeep or can you get it all from one side? Does the extra weight also keep the hood from shuddering on the highway?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I used to keep mine mounted to the tailgate, then moved it into my garage and never touched it again.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Isn't it a PITA to have to reach over the hood just to unhook it from the mounts though? Do you have to unlatch it from both sides of the Jeep or can you get it all from one side? Does the extra weight also keep the hood from shuddering on the highway?

To me it's fairly easy to get to the bolts to remove it from the hood. Yes, there is a bolt on each side so you will have to either walk around or somebody else will have to remove the bolt on the other side. It does cut down on the shuddering but being on the hinges it is far enough back that you will still get some shuddering. I have a tuffy hood lock that eliminates that. The Daystar, rugged ridge, etc hood hinges should also eliminate that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Up until I sold one, I had 3 Hi-Lifts. Like others have mentioned, the remaining two sit in my garage and have been there for a long time. While carrying a Hi-Lift looks cool, a good bottle jack will get the job done better, safer and will take up a lot less room.

JAGS

Hooked
When I would take mine I would store it under the rear seats and then bungy to seat supports. It fit perfectly door to door and didn't rattle. I now keep it in the garage and carry a bottle jack with me in the trunk cubby compartment.

jedg

Like others have said, I sold my Hi-Lift and carry a bottle jack. I also carry this adapter I made from 4" channel and 1 1/4 DOM. You can purchase these from vendors I think. I went to the local steel retailer in my town and purchased U.S. steel in what's called drop pieces ( left over pieces) for $5. This allows me to put the bottle jack directly under the axle tube.

adapter-1.jpg adapter-2.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like others have said, I sold my Hi-Lift and carry a bottle jack. I also carry this adapter I made from 4" channel and 1 1/4 DOM. You can purchase these from vendors I think. I went to the local steel retailer in my town and purchased U.S. steel in what's called drop pieces ( left over pieces) for $5. This allows me to put the bottle jack directly under the axle tube.

View attachment 173878 View attachment 173879

Now that's a pretty damn cool idea :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 173878 View attachment 173879

Genius....

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Im glad I read this I was getting ready to order a Hi Lift. I just found this Jack/Stand online. Does anybody use this?

41a6A-vAdLL.jpg

I have mine on my hood it looks nice to me and as mentioned above since its exposed to rain snow sun so I carry a can of wd40 for that a remove the jack when I wash my jeep so it doesn't start to rust from the water! Also I have a cover on the mechanism so that helps too!

CrazyDuck

I mounted mine inside my TJ on the rollbar. I used 2.5" exhaust clamps. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718399.614343.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718515.808812.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718571.936950.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718600.469890.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718621.910039.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447718648.264370.jpg

Now since talking to Eddie and a few people on here I'm gonna put the bottle jack back in the jeep. I will keep the hilift in the jeep also.

Gallamine

Im glad I read this I was getting ready to order a Hi Lift. I just found this Jack/Stand online. Does anybody use this?

View attachment 173946

I have that jack. I don't particularly like it, since when releasing the pressure it doesn't just drop back to neutral. I have to use force to push it down. Consequently it is a pita to remove from under an axel.

jedg

I have that jack. I don't particularly like it, since when releasing the pressure it doesn't just drop back to neutral. I have to use force to push it down. Consequently it is a pita to remove from under an axel.

YEP! I thought it was just me. I also have one and it is a PITA to get it to collapse.

Top Bottom