Xj or build my jk

toxicwaste29

Hello all,

I have a jku right now that is built up currently. I use it for my dd. I have a neighbor selling a xj and I'm debating getting it for just a trail rig or keep building my jku. Im not sure of the year on the xj it is completely stock. It needs a radiator since it froze one winter, the starter needs replaced which he has a receipt for lifetime warranty, the tranny slips in and out of od when it warms up (for a trail rig I should be okay?), also it has the usual northeast rust. He said as is I can have it for $700 but I can probably give him $500 for it. What do y'all think? Good deal or not?

WJCO

Meme King
Hello all,

I have a jku right now that is built up currently. I use it for my dd. I have a neighbor selling a xj and I'm debating getting it for just a trail rig or keep building my jku. Im not sure of the year on the xj it is completely stock. It needs a radiator since it froze one winter, the starter needs replaced which he has a receipt for lifetime warranty, the tranny slips in and out of od when it warms up (for a trail rig I should be okay?), also it has the usual northeast rust. He said as is I can have it for $700 but I can probably give him $500 for it. What do y'all think? Good deal or not?

I'd say that price is right, but then it sounds like you'll have a lot of work ahead of you. Especially if you want to keep fixing up the JK too.

jamesrw30

I know a XJ is alot cheaper to mod than my WJ and most likely the JKU also but it sounds like you already have a start on the JKU. XJ's can be great trail rigs and for $500 that doesn't sound like a bad starting point.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
An XJ can be a solid trail rig. I have a friend with one with a 3" lift and 33s and he can do obstacles I can't with 37s on my JKUR

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
It could be fun for a trail only rig if you have a way to get it to the trails and do it on a super tight budget. Not sure how the trans will hold up tho. I see tons of them in our local junkyards tho so im sure you could fix it up cheap.

thardy

Banned
The fact that the cooling system has frozen enough to hurt the radiator, chances are that there are also engine issues. That would be my red flag.

toxicwaste29

I was thinking that with the radiator being frozen the motor could be messed up. I have taken my jk through stuff I thought I couldn't go through and it does amazing. I have a truck I can haul it to trails I'd just need a car hauler. The only thing that bothers me about using my jk for trail and dd is if it breaks on the trail I'm stuck getting it towed home and fixing it while trying to find another set of wheels.

thardy

Banned
I was thinking that with the radiator being frozen the motor could be messed up. I have taken my jk through stuff I thought I couldn't go through and it does amazing. I have a truck I can haul it to trails I'd just need a car hauler. The only thing that bothers me about using my jk for trail and dd is if it breaks on the trail I'm stuck getting it towed home and fixing it while trying to find another set of wheels.

Personally, unless you're prepared to replace the motor, I would steer clear of this one. I've seen quite a few blocks get ruined by the cold and if the radiator is damaged, chances are, it's not the only thing.

toxicwaste29

I'm not to worried about the work replacing the motor. I've replaced quite a few in the past. If it needs a motor and tranny and who knows what else then its not worth it in my book even for it being a dedicated trail rig

JamesNZ

XJ! Closer to being a buggy when modified. Sure it needs quite a lot of strengthening depending on how extreme you want to be but once you've done that skies the limit. It really has its advantages being a unibody construction once fully strengthened.

toxicwaste29

I decided to pass on it. Id only give scrap value for it but he wouldn't fly for that. The motor is about trashed, bad rust on the body so the frame is probably toast, the tranny is bad, and who knows what else. Thanks for all the advice though.

Top Bottom