AC smells bad when I turn it on

nickram

I have a 2014 Jeep wrangler and whenever I turn on my AC after I start the car it smells really bad (sour and nasty) for the first few seconds and then the smell slowly disappears. Where is this coming from and what can I do to fix it?
Ps. The smell comes directly from the vents so I don't think it is coming from the carpet.

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2014 Jeep wrangler and whenever I turn on my AC after I start the car it smells really bad (sour and nasty) for the first few seconds and then the smell slowly disappears. Where is this coming from and what can I do to fix it?
Ps. The smell comes directly from the vents so I don't think it is coming from the carpet.

You could have leaves or debris around your evap core. When the evap condensates, the debris absorbs it and you get that nasty smell. This commonly occurs when the vehicle is parked under trees most of the time, especially in the fall. 1) Make sure your evap drain is clear and not plugged. 2) When you turn off your vehicle, make sure your re-circulation button is turned off. This will allow fresh air to flow through the system. Many vehicles, when turned off with recirc button left on, will leave the recirc door closed preventing fresh air flow through the vent housing. 3) if that doesn't work, there is a product called Ozium, auto parts stores sell it. It is an odor absorber and is very strong, I've had great luck with it. With your recirc off and the Jeep running, and blower motor on low, spray the Ozium through the outside cowl vents and let it work its magic. 4) If none of this works, you may have to remove the evaporator and clean or replace it.

Those would be my thoughts.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks so much!! Where is the evap drain located?

I think it's by the firewall transmission tunnel area. It will be a short hose that's not connected to anything. With your AC on, it should have liquid dripping out of it after the vehicle runs for awhile. And check around your cowl area for heavy leaf build up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What WJCO said. Also, if you use your AC a lot and you live in a hot humid area, you might just have mold growing in the ducts. If so, there are products to help have this cleaned out.

Top Bottom