Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit

Tallhamer

Im looking to mount my new spare wheel to my factory tailgate on my 2014 jk. From what I read online the wheel I bought weight 36lbs the tire I got weight 40.2lbs. So I did the math im looking at around 76.2lbs. 33inch tire with a 17inch wheel with 4.75 backspacing. I keep hearing back and forth that I will need to upgrade my carrier so that I don't break the internal welds on the tailgate. Than I get told that I don't need it and people have ran a 37 on the stock factory carrier and hinges. The same with if I need the spacer or not for the wheel. However I do get one answer that I deff need to buy the daystar bump stock extensions.

I have came across the Off Camber and MRBP Spare tire reinforcement kit.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
http://www.amazon.com/MBRP-130718-Coated-Relocate-Bracket/dp/B00261FNB2

Has anyone ran one of these? Did it make a difference? Would you recommend this? What to do?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You will not need either of these especially since you are only running 33's. All you need is some bump stop extensions. When the tire sits firmly against them they will help stop it from jiggling.

crowrb29

Just make sure you have long enough bump stops/ isolators and you'll be fine. I ran a 33 on my tailgate for 36,000 miles and had zero issues.

You can do it on the cheap with some appropriately sized rubber tubing from a hardware store.

jagrubb99

I am running 33x12.5 tires with aftermarket wheels and I have had no problems with carrying my spare. As stated above you will not need an extension bracket but you may need bump stop extensions to make sure the tire sits flush against the carrier without any movement, hope this helps

Tallhamer

your all on the same page that im thinking that imma be good just with the bumpstop. As im currently deployed overseas so my jeep and new wheels are there and i have sold my stock wheels so my buddy going to throw my new wheels on my jeep for me and i wanna have everything ready for when he comes to the spare. im just hoping to get a year or two out of mine. i wanna do a bigger lift and a real lift next not the teraflex leveling kit and than change other things as im hoping to deal with stock carrier for a year or two.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
your all on the same page that im thinking that imma be good just with the bumpstop. As im currently deployed overseas so my jeep and new wheels are there and i have sold my stock wheels so my buddy going to throw my new wheels on my jeep for me and i wanna have everything ready for when he comes to the spare. im just hoping to get a year or two out of mine. i wanna do a bigger lift and a real lift next not the teraflex leveling kit and than change other things as im hoping to deal with stock carrier for a year or two.

You will be fine. Many guys run 35's and 37's on the stock carrier for a long time due to the fact that they properly isolate it with the extensions. Also when you get to that size the tire will sit on your stock bumper as well which helps isolate it even more.

I believe Wayalife has even spoken to mopar before and even they say that the stock carrier is rated for a heavy set of 35's.

Tallhamer

You will be fine. Many guys run 35's and 37's on the stock carrier for a long time due to the fact that they properly isolate it with the extensions. Also when you get to that size the tire will sit on your stock bumper as well which helps isolate it even more.

I believe Wayalife has even spoken to mopar before and even they say that the stock carrier is rated for a heavy set of 35's.

awesome, well they will be going on soon. i sold my stock wheels and wheel spacers. So these will be bolted on. Imma order the bump stop extension this weekend. My buddy gonna put my wheels on. I wish i could go play with my camera with my jeep after all this is on. im looking at the aev procal next unless there something better for around same price.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
awesome, well they will be going on soon. i sold my stock wheels and wheel spacers. So these will be bolted on. Imma order the bump stop extension this weekend. My buddy gonna put my wheels on. I wish i could go play with my camera with my jeep after all this is on. im looking at the aev procal next unless there something better for around same price.

The procal and the superchips flashcal are both very good products and you can't go wrong with either. The latter is upgradable at a later date to the flashpaq software which allows you to throw a tune on your jeep is you want.

Tallhamer

The procal and the superchips flashcal are both very good products and you can't go wrong with either. The latter is upgradable at a later date to the flashpaq software which allows you to throw a tune on your jeep is you want.

Yeah that be awesome. Sounds like the flashpag from what im getting is alot like how the COBB accessport was for my old Mazdaspeed3. What a fun car but the torque steer sucks.

chipper

your all on the same page that im thinking that imma be good just with the bumpstop.

I found this idea here on WAL. Works great, and it's cheap. You can find them at the hardware store. Just slide it over your factory bumpstop. And give it a trim it you need to.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448189657.413584.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448189712.769418.jpg

CastleRockJeep

I found this idea here on WAL. Works great, and it's cheap. You can find them at the hardware store. Just slide it over your factory bumpstop. And give it a trim it you need to.
View attachment 174707 View attachment 174708

Just picked these up.

One question, I'm tossing on 35x12.50r17's on wheels with 3.5" back spacing. What, if anything can/do I need to do with the third brake light? Will it at least be okay to get it home?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Just picked these up.

One question, I'm tossing on 35x12.50r17's on wheels with 3.5" back spacing. What, if anything can/do I need to do with the third brake light? Will it at least be okay to get it home?

I have the teraflex spacer deal that bolts to the factory carrier and moves the tire out and up. With the factory rims and 35 12.50s it would not bolt back up to just the factory carrier because of the 3rd brake light. With the spacer and the fact that it moves it out and up it now blocks the 3rd brake light. Mine is burned out though because with it blocked, I should see it light up the tire but it doesnt so I am assuming it is burned out. I have been too lazy to check into it and I have not been hassled about it by the cops as of yet. Knock on wood. Most of the spacer kits like the one I have will move it out and up so I think it would be an issue of blocking the 3rd brake light no matter the brand. So you would need to move the light up somehow or relocate it another way. I am planning on getting a license plate mount that moves the license plate up to the center of the spare and then get a plate light kit that will have the tag lights and a 3rd brake light. I will then cut off the factory 3rd brake light off of the factory tire carrier, which will also allow me to remove the spacer and mount the spare back up onto just the factory carrier.

With aftermarket rims you might be able to bolt it onto the factory carrier and it not block the 3rd brake light or not block it as much, even with a 35. It would also depend on the backspacing and/or offset of the rims you are using.

chipper

Just picked these up.

I didn't have to move mine. But have seen extension kits out there. I've also seen small LED lights with rubber seals that will fit into the open lugnut holes in the rim. Cut off you factory 3 rd break light at the carrier and just use the wire to hook up these lights. Good luck

CastleRockJeep

I didn't have to move mine. But have seen extension kits out there. I've also seen small LED lights with rubber seals that will fit into the open lugnut holes in the rim. Cut off you factory 3 rd break light at the carrier and just use the wire to hook up these lights. Good luck

Thanks for the info gentlemen, it went on fine, the brake light is a bit hide so I may look into the ones that fill the two empty lug nut holes. It seems pretty solids with the flex tube, at least good enough for on road driving. I found a bestop carrier that's brand new for $150. Not sure if it's worth it though.

Top Bottom