2" Body Lift for 2009 JKU

JoeB-JKURX

My daughter has a very clean 2009 JKU and wants to run 35" tires and new wheels with the proper backspacing. My son-in-law went to the local 4 Wheel Parts store to get a budget boost kit (spacers and shock relocation brackets). It seemed like a reasonable plan to me. One of the clerks at the store talked him out of the BB and sold him a 2" (plastic spacers) body lift that was, then, installed at that store. IMO it looks a bit goofy with the gap between the back bumper and the body.

I'm no expert on Jeep (particularly JK) suspensions and related issues but I do read a lot (and have my own lifted 2014 JKU). I can't recall anyone on any of the forums recommending a body lift of more than one inch and have seen several that say that, though BLs were common on TJs, BLs on JKs are not necessary or even appropriate.

Any thoughts on a BL versus a BB would be appreciated. I'd also appreciate help in identifying any issues that a BB might have with respect to handling, shift linkages, etc.

Thx

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My daughter has a very clean 2009 JKU and wants to run 35" tires and new wheels with the proper backspacing. My son-in-law went to the local 4 Wheel Parts store to get a budget boost kit (spacers and shock relocation brackets). It seemed like a reasonable plan to me. One of the clerks at the store talked him out of the BB and sold him a 2" (plastic spacers) body lift that was, then, installed at that store. IMO it looks a bit goofy with the gap between the back bumper and the body.

I'm no expert on Jeep (particularly JK) suspensions and related issues but I do read a lot (and have my own lifted 2014 JKU). I can't recall anyone on any of the forums recommending a body lift of more than one inch and have seen several that say that, though BLs were common on TJs, BLs on JKs are not necessary or even appropriate.

Any thoughts on a BL versus a BB would be appreciated. I'd also appreciate help in identifying any issues that a BB might have with respect to handling, shift linkages, etc.

Thx

Take it back and tell them to take that shit off at no cost. You don't want a bl. Bb is a lot better. What did they say to talk him out of the bb?

aldaman

Take it back and tell them to take that shit off at no cost. You don't want a bl. Bb is a lot better. What did they say to talk him out of the bb?

I second that, a BB is a better route to go rather than a 2"BL. I wonder if the shop was trying to get rid of their old/clearance parts :thinking::naw:

JoeB-JKURX

Possible Complications from 2" Body Lift

I was looking around the forum and saw that, even with a 1" BL, there might be binding of the shift linkage. Other things that could be affected (according to various posts here on WOL) include wiring and any hoses that go between the body and chassis. You'd think that 4 Wheel Parts would know this and steer him right. If any of you all have experiences that I could relate to my son-in-law regarding the pluses and minuses of a body lift, I'd appreciate the input.

Thx

AaronG83NM

Body lifts are just ridiculous take it off clean up the plastic body spacers and make them give you a refund. BB would be the smartest decision.

lidless07X

There are pluses and minuses to both.

The body lift looks like crap at 2" in my opinion but doesn't alter the suspension in any way (plus). It does however raise your Center of gravity

Budget Boosts do alter the suspension some, but very minimal. They definitely look better than a body lift.

If I had my choice it would be a budget boost over a body lift but I have run a 1" body lift in the past.

Your son in law may have stressed to the shop that he didn't want the suspension changed and that is why they recommended the body lift. Hardly the shop's fault in my opinion.

Pyro1415

Yeah the only way the shop is responsible is if you said you wanted a bb and they did a bl. I'd go with the take it off yourself clean em up and ask for a refund or the money towards a bb. In my experience they're more likely to help you if they know you're shopping there again.

lidless07X

One of the body lift manufacturers includes brackets to raise the rear bumper up to meet the tub. I think it is Rough Country. They raise it 1.25" which is the same amount as their lift.

JoeB-JKURX

Thanks for the info on the relo brackets. I sent an email to Rough Country to see if they'd sell the brackets separately from their BL kit.

Top Bottom